Rescuing Tortoise

B.R

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello there tortoise lovers, so I was on craigslist and came across an ad of a person selling a 6 month old sulcata tortoise. So the guy says he doesnt have the bulbs for the tortoise because there expensive apparently. I asked him how long has the toetoise been without a heat lamp and uvb light and he said about 1 month. He apparently takes it out for an hour everyday to get sun light and puts warm bottles at night and keeps the tortoise in a warm room. The toetoise is apparently healthy active and has an appetite. he feed the tortoise grassland tprtoise pellets collard greens mustard greens and lettuce. my question is what should i look out for i would like to rescue the tortoise but feel like a month without uvb and heat light can have irreversible health problems on the tortoise. with your guys experience what do you guys suggest

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Sounds like a sad situation, but hope shouldn’t be lost for the tortoise. I would go see it, take it outside when it’s nice and see how well he gets around, how active he is. Watch how he grazes, etc. This will tell a lot. How does his eyes and nostrils looks? Tortoises are tough animals and there have been many in much worse conditions that came out doing incredible with the proper care. Are you prepared to bring a Sulcata into your home? Good luck and please keep us posted!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A month without uvb but getting sun is not a big deal. In fact, it would be better giving uvb from the sun then from a bulb. The diet isn't perfect but isn't bad either. If the tortoise looks good, eyes clear no running nose or eyes etc, I wouldn't worry. I'm sure it will be pyramided but that's more cosmetic as long as it has water and gets soaks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello there tortoise lovers, so I was on craigslist and came across an ad of a person selling a 6 month old sulcata tortoise. So the guy says he doesnt have the bulbs for the tortoise because there expensive apparently. I asked him how long has the toetoise been without a heat lamp and uvb light and he said about 1 month. He apparently takes it out for an hour everyday to get sun light and puts warm bottles at night and keeps the tortoise in a warm room. The toetoise is apparently healthy active and has an appetite. he feed the tortoise grassland tprtoise pellets collard greens mustard greens and lettuce. my question is what should i look out for i would like to rescue the tortoise but feel like a month without uvb and heat light can have irreversible health problems on the tortoise. with your guys experience what do you guys suggest
They can survive a lot. I wouldn't expect any irreversible damage from what you've told us. Save this tortoise. The person has obviously gotten the wrong info and doesn't care enough to research and learn more, or do the right thing.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
I agree, take the tortoise, no permanent damage is probably done as he is only 6 months. I would be sure to give him the moisture he needs when you get him.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
so I shouldnt be worried about his growth being impaired by this. thank you guys for your input im picking the little guy up on satuday ill be sure to post pictures for everyone.

Pictures?? :)

B.R

California
Hey there to you all I know I said i would post pictures when I brought the little guy home unfortunately the seller sold him on friday so I didn't get a chance to rescue him I just hope that the guy who bought him will take very good care of him/her.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hey there to you all I know I said i would post pictures when I brought the little guy home unfortunately the seller sold him on friday so I didn't get a chance to rescue him I just hope that the guy who bought him will take very good care of him/her.

Darn :(