How does it look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
I am currently interested in getting another tortoise, obviously a sulcata. I can provide the space, and financial requirements. I decided to check craigslist our for fun. I found this two year old LITTLE guy for a rehoming fee of $100.

sulcata.jpg

I can see it has the start of pyramiding. The individual selling it said he has had it for one year and is selling it so he can get another greek tortoise. He also mentioned that the previous owner said this Sulcata was the runt ofthe clutch. What do you guys think of it? What else should I ask the person selling it? Thanks in advanced for the help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's 24 months old and the size of a three month old. Just know that something is wrong and if you buy it, it should just be as something of a novelty for you. What I mean is don't expect it to grow like a normal sulcata and don't be surprised if it dies prematurely.

You didn't say one way or the other, but are you going to keep them separate? Pairs can be very problematic. and don't forget an extended quarantine, especially since something is wrong.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Well, considering have a Russian, it defintely wouldnt work out. Sorry, I didn't secify. I don't plan on pairing after seeing the MANY posts on that topic (that you always reply on).

I was absolutely amazed by its size. I wish I could help the little guy out. I would hate to have my first sulcata die so prematurely. Thanks for your input.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would be wary of it, it does not necessarily mean that it is unhealthy per se, it could be a runt. Ask about it's diet, enclosure how often it is soaked, before you make any final decisions.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Alright, I asked him. He said he feeds it a mix of grass pellets and occasional greens, lives in a 5x5 outside enclosure with a hide,and soaks at least 1x a week. This list might possibly tell me why it has not grown much. He said that he has owned it for one year and bought it from a breeder who owed it for one year. I feel like I should let him in on some information, or tell him about this website.

I also asked if it is veryactive. He said "hes out and about everyday and i've honestly seen no problems with him".

revdrlon

5 Year Member
My little guy is 4 months old and is quite a bit bigger than him.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I know, the guy said it still fits into his hand and I thought maybe the whole area. I had just seen a post of a sulcata that is 5 and 15 inches, 20 pounds, quite the difference. I don' t like the thought of not thinking it doesn't have potential.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I feel like it might be okay and, possibly, that this is just a really small tortoise. I believe that what Tom said is important to take into consideration and I would hate for serious medical conditions to occur, along with a short lifespan.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Wow. I have never seen such a tiny 24 month old sulcata. Really shocking. I have 3 week old hatchlings that cover the same surface area of a palm.
Although adopting an animal (especially reptiles who are so good at masking problem) when "something isn't right" often ends in heartache, it sometimes comes with great gratification. If you can take this guy in and be committed to whatever health issues may exist or arise then I say absolutely do it. If however you are looking for a beginner tortoise or a well started sulcata then I would pass, you can find a healthy youngster for less $ then that and have some peace of mind with your purchase.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Yeah, I appreciate the input greatly. I feel like a good diet and proper necessities it will help. But, based on the size, it may be other things going on.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I can't believe the size! I would love to have it for myself, but it would be hell to get it and get attached and have something bad happen. But, speaking for myself, I would take it if the price is right. Sure is a little cutie!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I certainly would not pay 100 for it so the guy can get another tortoise and potentially harm that one.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Well, I was first going to determine if I truly wanted to get it before I bargain with this person. I definitely will not pay the full price and feel like I could get it for at least $80, if I decide to follow through. This will take some thinking!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Blake m said:
Well, I was first going to determine if I truly wanted to get it before I bargain with this person. I definitely will not pay the full price and feel like I could get it for at least $80, if I decide to follow through. This will take some thinking!

I would say the price should be closer to 50-60. But what do I know...

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Good to know. I was thinking at least 80 only because they are sold in shops at that price. But I guess after taking it to the vet for a check up, buying suitable items for its living quarters, it should be about that price.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I would also say like 50 or less, make sure he knows that this is not a normal tortoise size.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Okay, I will check it out. Thanks again for all of the input!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Blake m said:
Okay, I will check it out. Thanks again for all of the input!

Let us know what you decide if you don't mind. I would love to keep tabs on this little one if you or another forum member gets it. Thanks!!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Great, thanks for your concern! I will keep everyone informed and updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.