Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
MooingTricycle said:
Does anybody have any actual measurements and observations in regards to wild sulcata environment? Field data by established herpetologists? Im interested to know.

Im keen on facts, not speculation.

If results are producing a healthy tortoise in a non natural environment ( because captivity is NOT natural) Id say those results are pretty indicative of a proper method in raising these animals. If many methods work, what are the parameters in WHICH they work? Location( location environment), keeper experience and keeper ability to monitor the slightest details in growth, environmental factors( of the setup/housing)... All of these things matter. Instead of personal conjecture, id like to see visual fact that a particular method is superior than the other.

These are good points. No one has this data in hand yet, BUT it has been collected as of now. Tomas Diagne of the African Chelonian Institute has been compiling burrow temps and humidity, ranging info and all sorts of data for many years. He told me last November that they are compiling and organizing the data right now for publication in another book. I made him promise to send me a copy out of the very first printing.

Until we have that data in hand, all we really have is some educated guessing and speculation, AND of course we have what works and what does not work in captivity. Minor detail I know, but it's enough for me.

I'm done typing for a while, gotta go get my babies out of their soaking water...

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Tom said:
gotta go get my babies out of their soaking water...

What's the hurry?!?! Mine have been running around in the kiddie pool for more than an hour...in 1/2" of water!:tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.