Hi from Utah

jboggess

Hi all, wanted to introduce my self, and get some advice. Ive been a turtle lover since i was a kid, had a tortoise when i was 7 or 8,, but some how it ran away,, probably a good thing because i bet i didnt take good care of it, being in a 10 gallon tank during the night :( i dont remember what kind it was... But now since im 30 i want to do this the right way this time and make a nice out door habitat. If i had my dream tortoise it would either be a red footed tortoise or a sulcata tortoise, but from my research it looks like they dont hibernate in snow? What tortoise would you recommend that can handle hot,cold, snowy,rainy and dry weather, ugh,,,,Utah weather i tell ya. Thanks all.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum. I am relatively new to tortoises and I am not familiar with one that would handle being outside year-round in Utah. A box turtle might be able to. It might also depend on which part of Utah you are in. What your specific claimant is like. More experienced people will be along soon to maybe give you some ideas. Check out the species specific section and read up on different kinds.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Of course, with enough preparation and money anything could work. People keep sulcata in cold climates by using heated enclosures. But if you're looking for one to hibernate then you will probably not see your tortoise for a good part of the year. For instants, Russians hibernate nine months out of the year in the wild.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Just to wish you a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
I too am not familiar with Utah, or snow!
Sure someone will give advice soon.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Like they have told you with money you can raise any tort you want we have a member in Alaska that has sulcata s . So now you have to think it over . Oh but the way a lot of our members raise them in the house . But torts rule !

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
There isn't one that can handle what you've got without help... Heated night box or indoor winter enclosure

jboggess

Hey, thanks for the welcome and the link, thats also what i was thinking about, if there were any local organations that i could adopt from in Utah, so thanks!