Happy 08' Group. From Lynn in Utah

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lynncharlene

Deciding I wanted to befriend a tortoise was a no-brainer. Deciding which type would thrive in mile-high Southern Utah desert was much more demanding. After months of searching the net I came to the conclusion that the Hermanns or Russian would be best for the area and my lifestyle. We have cold, snowy winters and sunny 85-90 summers but humidity here is only 15-20% so most tortoises can't even be considered. I have a basement perfect for wintering.

Between the two, Western Hermanns seems to be the winner...but I can't locate one in the US. Does anyone know why that is? If anyone here knows where I can buy 2 unrelated babies or young westerns I would love to hear from you.

This looks like a great site with serious tortoise lovers. I hope I live up to the rest of you.

Lynn Sorbet

ngumpet

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
hi lynn... i'm not living in the state. so i don't actually know where to get tortoise. but i believe russian is great. they're tough, rarely sick, eats a lot (which shows they're super healthy), and they're active. if i may recommend you, Red Foot or Sulcata will also be great for you. and do you know the most interesting part in having Sulcata? they can grow very big and a lot more adorable. or if you prefer small size tortoise, i think the star tortoise will be perfect. because the price is very cheap and they don't grow so fast.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Stars aren't cheap here in the US, actually! Hermanns or Russians are a great choice! Great that you are doing your research beforehand! Check Kingsnake.com, you might find some Hermanns on there! Good luck!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Yeah - wish stars were cheap! Wouldn't that be nice. Kingsnake like Kelly said often has Hermanns. You could also check fauna classifieds I have never bought from there but you could look. Glad you've joined us.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Lynn,
Your going to find it very hard to find Western Hermanns, Testudo hermanni hermanni. Very few people in the states breed pure T. h. hermanni. One person that comes to mind is Chris (hermannichris23), a member of the forum. Most of the other people that do don't advertise.
Why did you pick them over T. h. boettgeri or T. h. hercegovinensis?

Danny

L

lynncharlene

egyptiandan said:
Hi Lynn,
Your going to find it very hard to find Western Hermanns, Testudo hermanni hermanni. One person that comes to mind is Chris (hermannichris23), a member of the forum. Why did you pick them over T. h. boettgeri or T. h. hercegovinensis?

Danny

Hello Danny, I chose t.h.h. because of it's smaller size and deeper color. I have researched the red footed, star, leopard, yellow footed, et al, and found they need much more humidity than we have here. Usually we are 15% or less. Occasionally we get 20%, but that is very rare. The russians sound a bit fiesty from what I've read.

Thanks for the information.

Lynn

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Feisty? Hmmm would somebody go wake up my Russians and tell them they need to get feisty?...lol.

Welcome to the family! No matter which type you finally end up with, I am sure you will enjoy them.

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi there!

There isn't a whole lot of Western breeders in the UK either. Wish there was as I would love another one. Lucky for Chriss that he is across the Atlantic otherwise I'd be beating his door down for one of those hatchlings he has.

But as has alreday been said there really isn't such a massive difference between the E and W Hermanns. They are both great!

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
How about a Greek? Our guy is small, handsome and easy going:D

Welcome! Can't wait to see what you decide on. Everyone here are fantastic resources and endlessly helpful:D

L

lynncharlene

Cam said:
How about a Greek? Our guy is small, handsome and easy going:D

Welcome! Can't wait to see what you decide on. Everyone here are fantastic resources and endlessly helpful:D

Thank you so much, the group has been so helpful already. Funny you should mention the Greek, I have only today discovered that one as a viable option. I think I like the Ibera. Are they difficult to find?

Lynn

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Not on this site (meaning not hard to find on this site):D
Search member list and sent a note to Egyptian Dan.
He has a few different 'species' that he breeds.
He is very helpful thinking through what would be a good fit too:D

Fiddlerchick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
lynncharlene said:
egyptiandan said:
Hi Lynn,
Your going to find it very hard to find Western Hermanns, Testudo hermanni hermanni. One person that comes to mind is Chris (hermannichris23), a member of the forum. Why did you pick them over T. h. boettgeri or T. h. hercegovinensis?

Danny

Hello Danny, I chose t.h.h. because of it's smaller size and deeper color. I have researched the red footed, star, leopard, yellow footed, et al, and found they need much more humidity than we have here. Usually we are 15% or less. Occasionally we get 20%, but that is very rare. The russians sound a bit fiesty from what I've read.

Thanks for the information.

Lynn

Greetings Lynn, and welcome!

I hope it wasn't my tribulations with our feisty little Farishta that put you off Russians ROFLMAO :p
She adopted us just over a month ago and has had a steep learning curve adapting to our highly abnormal family and lifestyle (apartment full of musicians and cats running on feline time), so that may be why she's been so cranky..........

You have come to the right place, as I have received a wealth of good advice from the wonderful people in this forum.

I look forward to hearing news of your new family member!

Best wishes,

Brenda K

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
Welcome to the group Lynn.
I didnt realize you were on here already....sorry lol I should have paid better attention..
I use the same user name on about 5 other spots..so I wasnt sure where you had read my posts.

Welcome any how...glad to have you here:)

Status
Not open for further replies.