from Utah!!!

Five-sprout

5 Year Member
Hello, I'm new to this forum but would like to say I absolutely love it and I read new things daily off it!!! a little about me, i'm by no means new to animals, but this is my first run around with chelonians. i'm a zoology major at my local university. for the past 6 years i've been breeding ornamental fish in my aquaria for hobby as well as propagating aquatic plants. as of date i'm up to 22 species. fish were really my only interest until now.

A couple weeks ago my cousin was doing some weeding with a friend and he found a baby tortoise hiding in the tall grass. He sent me a picture and I instantly fell in love with the little thing and said I'd take it off his hands. It ended up being a little baby Sulcata!! I'm glad he found it when he did, since I live in Utah and the weather has been starting to get fairly chilly so there's no way he would have survived much longer. anyway, i named him/her "maneo" (mah-new) which in latin means: to remain, last, or endure. (because of the life longevity they can have.)
IMG_4837.jpeg IMG_2150.png IMG_3571.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Oh what a grumpy little face! have your friend do a really intensive search because the mama sulcata doesn't just lay one egg.

Welcome to the Forum! and thanks for sharing those cute pictures.

Five-sprout

5 Year Member
well i dont think he was newly hatched? i checked my local craigslist and ksl classifieds for anything about a missing tortoise and i couldnt find anything.. but based off the weight (68.4 gms) i was thinking he was older? does he look newly hatched to you guys? also we did check, this little guy was in a front yard weed bed, and there were no others around..

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Five-sprout

5 Year Member
these guys get big fast. i mean fast! they can get up to 200 pounds:eek:!! what type of cage are you keeping him in? please post some pics of his enclosure:):tort:

alright real quick. i've been trying to prepare room for a big tort box i'm making from an old dresser. but as of now hes in a 10 gallon terrarium, with paper towel layers on the bottom that i keep relatively moist at night. i know that sounds terrible, but he only sleeps in there. every morning i take him outside and put him in a garden box until sunset, because our daytime temps are still around 72 degrees f every day.
here's the garden box. dimension size; 4ft by 4ft (dont mind the venus fly trap, its usually not there)
IMG_0192.JPG IMG_0200.JPG

this is partly because i haven't gotten him a proper UV light yet, and i like to expose him to natural sunlight. i bought a CFL at my local reptile exp and then read something on a forum here about how bad these can be for their eyes. so now i'm just trying to decide on a MVB. so while were on it, have any of you had experience with either of these particular bulbs?
IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0024.JPG

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome! Follow Tom's care sheets found in the African tortoise section and you will be on your way .