Hello everyone, i'm new!

Status
Not open for further replies.

avelovestorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hi everyone! I am new to the forum and a soon to be owner of a baby Sulcata:D I will be housing it in a custom built tortoise table indoors. I have done LOTS of research, but I have a couple questions...

1. What kind of weeds/ flowers are best for sulcata's? And where can you buy them, or do you have to grow them?
2. Is an artificial UV bulb necessary for a baby? I live in Texas and I will be taking it out for sunshine at least an hour a day if its sunny.

Also, I would love all the advice I can get!:p

remitort071312

5 Year Member
Ohio
Welcome :) you can grow her your own grasses, I am getting some from sulcatafood.com. They have seed packets that are cheap, and different types of grasses to, and they grow pretty fast too. You can also give your tort mazuri, which you can order online, Cactus petals(opuntia cactus) which you can either burn/scrape the spines, or some people leave them on. Weeds like plantain, clover, and dandelion leaves are good for her too, there is a list on this forum someplace that elaborates a little more as well. Plus go under the stickies tab and read Toms tips on raising sulcata hatchlings. I am Very new to all this as well but this is some things I picked up from here.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Toms threads are actually at the bottom of my post. They are really great for raising a healthy smooth sulcata. Check out thetortoisetable.org for edible flowers, weeds, etc. If your baby gets enough natural sun then no you don't need artificial UVB.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Welcome! Make sure that you are careful about where you buy your tortoise from. Some are kept very poorly and later have health complications. Any of the good breeders on this forum are great to buy your tortoise from and generally are better priced than the pet stores and web stores out there.:)

avelovestorts

5 Year Member
Texas
lovelyrosepetal said:
Welcome! Make sure that you are careful about where you buy your tortoise from. Some are kept very poorly and later have health complications. Any of the good breeders on this forum are great to buy your tortoise from and generally are better priced than the pet stores and web stores out there.:)

Who is the best breeder to buy from on this forum?:rolleyes:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
avelovestorts said:
Who is the best breeder to buy from on this forum?:rolleyes:

Now THAT is a loaded question. :D We have several very good breeders of them. I have to admit I love the ones I got from Tom and they have all been wonderful. I would suggest checking out the For Sale section to see who even may have some currently for sale.

Carlos83

5 Year Member
Fontana CA
Tom has some beautiful healthy babes ..If I had seen this forum earlier I would have got one from him most defiantly :D

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:) Toms threads are actually at the bottom of my post. They are really great for raising a healthy smooth sulcata. Check out thetortoisetable.org for edible flowers, weeds, etc. If your baby gets enough natural sun then no you don't need artificial UVB.

What is considered "enough" though? I am wondering this myself and I think she wants to know if an hour a day is enough.

avelovestorts

5 Year Member
Texas
LuckysGirl007 said:
What is considered "enough" though? I am wondering this myself and I think she wants to know if an hour a day is enough.

Exactly..

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
avelovestorts said:
LuckysGirl007 said:

Exactly..

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe as little as 30-60 minutes of sun is the equivalent of an entire day under a UV light, so an hour a day should be fine.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
shellysmom said:
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe as little as 30-60 minutes of sun is the equivalent of an entire day under a UV light, so an hour a day should be fine.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.