I'm Back! My New Sulcata 'Project'. [Pic Heavy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hey, how's everyone been on Tortoise Forum? :D

It's been about 3 years since I've posted anything since my last Sulcata I introduced you ladies and gentlemen to. A lot has happened since. I raised a pair of Het Ivories, but never posted a single thing about them on here, wish I did. There long gone now to hopefully a better home now.

I'm back now to introduce you to a new pair of unsexed hatchling Sulcata's I recently purchased from Lancecham. If anyone's looking for reptiles especially Sulcata's check him out. I recommend him along with all the other top quality breeders here on this forum. From my previous experiences, I've successfully raised Sulcata's to have no pyramiding, which is basically what this will be about, as well as raising them to be life long family members. There's already tons of information about pyramiding/humidity/temperature being the the prime example to reduce the cause, it's all over the forum. This topic is solely about the way I have been/improving the way I raise my Sulcata's and the information I'm able to provide. I will update this thread on a monthly basis along with pictures and growth rates.

Lets do a recap, if you're interested go ahead and look at my previous threads for my older Sulcata I used to raise. Here's a quick summary; I bought him/her from Tyler Stewart back in November 2008, and raised it for a few short months until around September 2009, almost a year. I was able to raise it with no pyramiding based off most of the research I did here on the forums. About 95% of the time it was raised off of eating only Mazuri Tortoise Diet and didn't have an entire moisture chamber, but a small humid hide. The entire enclosure was dry substrates and constant air flow. I lightly soaked him/her occasionally and sprayed rigorously, I never took it out for natural sunlight nor did I feed it greens/grasses. You may think this is all crazy and torture, but it was still a entirely healthy and active tortoise. As you can see I attached pictures of its evolving enclosures and growth.

Focusing back to my new pair of Sulcata's, after reading multiple threads and seeing tons of pictures of tortoises becoming more smooth, I thought I'd give it another shot. I blame Tom. :p But this time do everything above and beyond from what I previously raised. Yes, this means trying my absolute best to go all out, glass terrarium/moisture chamber, misting system, proper dieting, new substrates and MORE HUMIDITY! As the days continue to count down I'll be updating there sizes and weight. Please, continue to check back as information updates. This is just a quick introduction. Meet the Sulcata's! ;):tort::tort:

Pictures were taken with my iPhone 5.

Attachments

• photo 1x.JPG
    photo 1x.JPG
    956.7 KB · Views: 238
  • photo 2x.JPG
    photo 2x.JPG
    888.9 KB · Views: 237
  • photo 3x.JPG
    photo 3x.JPG
    924.5 KB · Views: 203
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 202
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 150
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 208
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 149
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 200

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome back. I look forward to seeing your results. I want to learn from anybody whose producing a smooth sulcata, whatever their methods are.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Tom, I'll be monitoring and posting all my observations as this first week comes to an end. I'm as well looking forward to what you can update us on your Sulcata's.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Welcome back, so glad Tom had an influence on you, good or bad :p:D Will be exciting to follow your thread. :)

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
wellington said:
Welcome back, so glad Tom had an influence on you, good or bad :p:D Will be exciting to follow your thread. :)

Tom had a positive influence, just as he has an image of the perfect tortoise as do I. His experiments and efforts along with other members here urged me to want to raise the Sulcata's differently, but with the most positive outcome. Stay tuned! ;)

image.jpg

This was the only photo I had of my Het Ivories that I bought from Richard Fife, raised under the same circumstances as my older Sulcata. As you can see they were raised to have smooth shells.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 99
Last edited by a moderator:

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I am glad they arrived safely. It is very comforting knowing my "babies" went to a home where they will be given the best of care. I will also look forward to the updates and see how the smooth the shells continue to be.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I have read your old thread on how you raised your tortoise. It looked beautiful. I think you just proved Tom's and other's theory about pyramiding.

Do you know how your old sulcata is doing? It would be interesting to see pictures of it.

What were your issues with your old diet? I know it was controversial but did you have problems or are you just wanting to provide a more varied and natural diet?

Good luck with your new experiments. I am sure that you will do a fabulous job.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ralph, and welcome back. Did you end up going to New Zealand as you had planned?

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Lancecham said:
I am glad they arrived safely. It is very comforting knowing my "babies" went to a home where they will be given the best of care. I will also look forward to the updates and see how the smooth the shells continue to be.

They're in extremely good hands, thanks again for the superb communication throughout the purchase!

lovelyrosepetal said:
I have read your old thread on how you raised your tortoise. It looked beautiful. I think you just proved Tom's and other's theory about pyramiding.

Do you know how your old sulcata is doing? It would be interesting to see pictures of it.

What were your issues with your old diet? I know it was controversial but did you have problems or are you just wanting to provide a more varied and natural diet?

Good luck with your new experiments. I am sure that you will do a fabulous job.

Thank you, I really do appreciate your gracious comment. I believe we're all still trying to prove ourselves to raise the 'perfect' tortoise.

Unfortunately, I don't. I just hope the owner has been taking as good as care as I have.

Honestly, there wasn't anything wrong with the old diet. I believe that with the amount of Mazuri that was being fed, the tortoises grew faster. In an eight month time span he/she grew a little over 2", but of course it wasn't all just the diet. I chose to use grasses/greens/Mazuri this time because I wanted see if there was a difference. I still have a majority of Mazuri being offered, but with a percentage of grasses/greens. I just planted a seed mix in the enclosure, hope it sprouts! Thanks again though!

emysemys said:
Hi Ralph, and welcome back. Did you end up going to New Zealand as you had planned?

Thanks Yvonne, it's good to be back! I did for a short amount of time, it was very hot and humid. Nothing like here in Las Vegas, it's beautiful, just the amount of greenery. Missed having tortoises lol.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
[Update]

I attached pictures of the enclosure to show everyone what I'm working with. It's an Exo Terra Terrarium 36" x 18" x 18" enough to raise these hatchlings until they reach 4" or so. I also use a 24" x 18" acrylic sheet that I built a handle to, to hold more humidity in the terrarium. The items I'm currently using are:

Exo Terra Monsoon RS400, set on a 3 hour 30 second cycle, sprays 8 times with in a 24 hour time period.
Zoo Med Deep Dome Lamp Fixtures
Zoo Med ReptiCare Terrarium Day/Night Time set on a 12 hour cycle.
Zoo Med PowerSun UV 160 Watts
Zoo Med ReptiCare Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 100 Watts
Exo Terra Plantation Soil
Zoomed Frog Moss
Big Apple Herps Imported Premium Grade Sphagnum Moss
All Living Things Shell Hide, it's been holding a great amount of humidity throughout all hours of the day.

The temperature and humidity in the terrarium fluctuates from 80 degrees+ F | 48%+ humidity on the cooler end of the terrarium. When the misters come on it ranges from 80-90% humidity. At the moment I don't know the percentage inside the hide, where they spend most of there time in.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 129
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 117
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 94
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 86
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 101
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 87

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Just a fyi, I got two sulcatas from Tom and the one that is five months old is already a little over 5"scl and the one that is four months old is over 4"scl. I do not know how long your enclosure is going to last you. I know that with a closed chamber that is high in humidity and a good diet that these guys grow fast. I got two from Austin, AZSulcata and they are five months old and are a little over 4" each. Mine have had a lot of hydration, trying for high humidity and plenty of outside grazing time but grew much slower. Now that they are in as closed of a chamber as I can get with pretty good humidity, they are growing faster but not as well as Tom's have. Hopefully you will be pleased with your Terrarium but my guess is that it will be too small, really soon. Good luck and keep us posted.:)

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Nice little setup you have there. But that fake tortoise shell is freaking me out. :p

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Tortus said:
Nice little setup you have there. But that fake tortoise shell is freaking me out. :p

I agree!

lovelyrosepetal said:
Just a fyi, I got two sulcatas from Tom and the one that is five months old is already a little over 5"scl and the one that is four months old is over 4"scl. I do not know how long your enclosure is going to last you. I know that with a closed chamber that is high in humidity and a good diet that these guys grow fast. I got two from Austin, AZSulcata and they are five months old and are a little over 4" each. Mine have had a lot of hydration, trying for high humidity and plenty of outside grazing time but grew much slower. Now that they are in as closed of a chamber as I can get with pretty good humidity, they are growing faster but not as well as Tom's have. Hopefully you will be pleased with your Terrarium but my guess is that it will be too small, really soon. Good luck and keep us posted.:)

I haven't been able to find anyone that can compete with the level of quality that Tom can produce for hatchlings. Its just incredible!

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
lovelyrosepetal said:

An inch every month? That's impressive growth. I definitely have thought about the tortoises out growing there terrarium, but by Spring I'll have a an outdoor enclosure ready for them. Already have plans for that. Thanks again, will do!

spikethebest said:
Tortus said:

I agree!

lovelyrosepetal said:

I haven't been able to find anyone that can compete with the level of quality that Tom can produce for hatchlings. Its just incredible!

The quality of Tom's offspring are incredible indeed, a lot of my information and ideas are based of what he's already done. I collaborate his success with some of my own ideas. I hope to get a similar outcome as well. I agree, Tom and Richard are the first two to come to mind as well as TerryO.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Welcome back Ralph. Another mystery of raising non pyramided sulcata :D
I really like the result of your old het ivory sulcata and the way you raise them in dry substrate and only a hide is different from Tom's humid method. But you did spray them vigorously, so I don't know if that is the key factor to them. How many times you spray their shells per day?

Good luck with the new ones, please keep updates and pictures with the closed chamber method :)

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Yellow Turtle said:
Welcome back Ralph. Another mystery of raising non pyramided sulcata :D
I really like the result of your old het ivory sulcata and the way you raise them in dry substrate and only a hide is different from Tom's humid method. But you did spray them vigorously, so I don't know if that is the key factor to them. How many times you spray their shells per day?

Good luck with the new ones, please keep updates and pictures with the closed chamber method :)

The obvious is that tortoises need humidity, they need to be sprayed or have some sort of moisture. I'm still surprised about how my tortoises turned out with a minimum amount of humidity just from the humid hide. I sprayed them as often as I could whenever they were roaming around, aproximentally 4+ times a day on average. I definitely will stay tuned!

Update

I haven't been able to weigh them out because my digital scale is malfunctioning or take measurements, but I'm hoping I'll get them in by the end of this week. I attached a picture of the temperature and humidity and finally got them to eat. The diet I put them on today was Santa Barbara mix and 12 Mazuri pellets that I chopped up in a Ninja Express Chop. I'm going to try and chop/shred the Orchard Hay in to fine pieces or almost a powder and mix it with the Mazuri once I find the time to. Here's some attached images from today.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    875.9 KB · Views: 66
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 68
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    777.7 KB · Views: 58
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 49
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    745 KB · Views: 57

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Ralph, what is that fluffy green plants that you use inside your enclosure? It looks nice :D

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
That Frog Moss is great for keeping humidity levels up! After putting in my Twin Enclosure I mist half as often and the levels stay at 75%+.

Nice lookin enclosure! For 1 Sucata, it is small. for 2.... I bet you get another indoor enclosure before you work on your outdoor enclosure for the summer! ;)

I got the same hide when mine where hatchlings.... they refused to us it and slept under anything else or just tuck into a corner.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Zamric said:
That Frog Moss is great for keeping humidity levels up! After putting in my Twin Enclosure I mist half as often and the levels stay at 75%+.

Nice lookin enclosure! For 1 Sucata, it is small. for 2.... I bet you get another indoor enclosure before you work on your outdoor enclosure for the summer! ;)

I got the same hide when mine where hatchlings.... they refused to us it and slept under anything else or just tuck into a corner.

The only thing about this frog moss is that it turns brown pretty quick, but does help with humidity. I'm sure I will have to before summer, but I'm sure it'll last till spring, just as I'm hoping for. :D One of my tortoises spends half it's time in there and the other roams most of the day. I'm starting to think the one that roams more often will outgrow the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.