I'm Back! My New Sulcata 'Project'. [Pic Heavy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Update

I was finally able to weigh and take measurements today 12-7-12 and was surprised to see they both weigh the same amount.

Mabel
photo4nmj.jpg

photo3zs.jpg

Mervin
photo2tyh.jpg

photo1it.jpg

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
SulcataDud3 said:
Yellow Turtle said:
Ralph, what is that fluffy green plants that you use inside your enclosure? It looks nice :D

Thanks, it's frog moss helps with humidity.

Yes I'm thinking it is kind of moss. Good looking, I don't know if it is available here for sell though :tort:

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Update

Yesterday I decided to redo my enclosure to something similar of what I've done in my past enclosures. I changed and included the following:

All natural cypress mulch
Terrarium moss
Fake plant
Larger basking area
Built a new humid hide, with a finch feeder sock net stuffed with imported grade sphagnum moss.
Built in/rewired ceramic heat emitter
Cut terrarium carpet into 3 pieces to hold in humidity from rising to the top of my screen covers.

Humidity is now at a consistent 80%+ compared to what it was at 50%+.

Here are some pictures:
photo1fk.jpg

photo2ar.jpg

photo4xf.jpg

photo5ok.jpg

photo3xth.jpg

photo11gc.jpg

photo21x.jpg

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
That 160watt seems like overkill for a glass enclosure. What are you gaining by using such a high wattage bulb?

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Livingstone said:
That 160watt seems like overkill for a glass enclosure. What are you gaining by using such a high wattage bulb?

Aside from warmth, from my previous experiences I had great success with higher temperatures. I believe in cooler side, but in my opinion I try to keep the entire enclosure at least 80+ degrees. It also helps keep the humidity stable at 80%+ even with the use of a dryer substrate. The terrarium I use has ventilation slots across the the front under the door panels. There's always constant air flow circulating in to help reduce and keep the temperature stable, with the right amount of humidity. These Sulcata's have never basked under natural sunlight, especially in this weather. I want enough UV rays to radiated even when being used with a screen cover.

jagsrule100

10 Year Member!
Florida
You said that you use all natural cypress mulch, where did you get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.