Sulcatas not cared for properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortLove

5 Year Member
Hello,
Very avid lovers of sulcatas as i grew up with them... my mother implanted the passion for these guys inside of me. I have done much research on them. We recently moved into a home with a lot of land so i decided it was time to be on the look out for one or two. There was an ad up for two sulcatas. I decided to go look at them. They were not being properly cared for no uvb. One is about ten inches long and the other is about four inches long. the lady said they are two and six. From my experience with them i know they should be larger then this... also thier shells are sort of soft and i noticed the larger ones shell is sunken in in the back...From my research i know they can get mbd... i am guess that is what they have the onset of... is there hope when they have the sunken shell? need all the adivce i can get as i am willing to do all it takes

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
There is hope. That being said, he will never fully recover. How much damage has been done, may never be known, but then you could have one who atleast appears healthy and yet have hidden issues inside due to poor care. It can become almost a coin toss. With these showing symptoms your atleast well aware going into the situation that serious, life threatening problems are indeed there and as such you will be (or atleast should be) more ready to do battle with this problems and give these two the best chance of survival that they may have. You will also have the benefit of knowing you may be facing vet bills and ultimately loosing them much earlier then you should despite your best work.

If your in a round about way asking if you should get them, that's a call you have to make. Can you walk away from them knowing they need help? Are you willing to take on what may easily be a losing battle, a money drain, not to mention an emotional heartbreak? Me, I'd get them and give them the chance they deserve, but that's just me. If you decide not to get them, there is no shame in that. You have to do what your comfortable with.

TortLove

5 Year Member
jacqui... i did get them... =) now i need advice lol what is the first step

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Where are you?

They need a good diet.
Calcium supplementation.
Lots of sunshine and exercise and sunshine in a nice outdoor pen.
A mercury vapor bulb indoors.
A nice large enclosure with a proper temp gradient.
A large shallow water dish.
Soaks every day or every other day at least.

Good luck. They tend to be pretty resilient. Chances are pretty good that it will work out for you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
TortLove said:
thank you tom.. any advice on hardening the shells?

All of the above will do just that. They need a good diet and Ca to build strong bones, but without sunshine and or the MVB they won't be able to use any of it. Sunshine is like a magic elixir for many reptiles, but especially tortoises. UV is needed for them to synthesize vitamin D3. Without D3, all the calcium in the world is useless to them. THere is much debate whether or not dietary D3 is even usable for tort. I have seen studies which suggest that it is not. The only way I'm 100% sure they will get their much needed D3 is SUNSHINE. The MVBs help too, but there is no substitute for natural, direct sunshine.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I hope you didnt have to pay much for them.. sounds like more of a rescue..
but they are lucky to have been re homed with someone who cares enough to try hard to help them and do right! :)
Hope you love where its sunny.. that and good diet with calcium is what they needs Lots of.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tortlove:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

TortLove

5 Year Member
My name is Caylea =) thankss for all the welcomes!!! this is my first time on a forum...I am in southern il...just moved here from GA.

TortLove

5 Year Member
album.php

hmm trying to figure out hwo to get a pic up here

TortLove

5 Year Member
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x469/caycam711/th_Photo0192.jpg[img][hr]
i posted them in attachments couldnt figure it out lol

Attachments

• Photo0191.jpg
    Photo0191.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Photo0190.jpg
    Photo0190.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 62
  • Photo0192.jpg
    Photo0192.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Photo0194.jpg
    Photo0194.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 62

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Oh my god...

That isn't the "onset" of MBD, that is MBD in its worst, full blown form.

They need a calcium supplement with D3 immediately, as well as a mercury vapor bulb immediately. Those kids are in terrible shape. It flat out makes me sick to my stomach.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
oh my... please tell me you didnt pay for those.. but if you did,, then it was good to get them away from where they were... sigh...
they are severe. esp the second one. I would get liquid calcium for them, put it in the drinking water or use the dropper and see if it can be dripped into thier mouths. They need lots of good sunshine, good food and prayers.I have one that was pretty bad when she arrived.. unsteady when her walked, but runs all over now and he is growing and doing much better. I was told it was one of the worst pyrimyding they had seen and prob would not grow or live ver long. life might be shorter.. but for now, he is great. good luck!!!

TortLove

5 Year Member
thanks... i got some calcium in them tonight put it all in their food. Where can i get this liquid calcium?
i got some calcium with d3 at pets mart today. would the vet be able to give them calcium shots maybe?

if they live through this will their shells reform?

also they are walking ok... and willing to eat... so i am hoping with that said that they will pull through... have only had them two nights and love them already... we named them sully and spike

also what would be the best food you would suggest right now to get them out of this

Status
Not open for further replies.