Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Oh wow, they are in bad shape.

I would go to the Vet for the liquid calcium. I would be getting them outside every bit of time you can. It may be too cold were you are for them to be outside much (if any), but even if it's warm enough for a couple of minutes at a time, it could help. Also have you gotten a really good UV light for them? If do, have it on them for a good 12 hours a day. Remember not only do you need to get the calcium into them, you need the sunshine/UV to allow their body to make use of that calcium. Keep putting some calcium on their food daily. Have a cuttlebone in their enclosure.

My mind is drawing a blank at where a good list is for what different greens have in them as far as calcium (CA:p ratio), but somebody will know and be answering you soon on that. Top of my head I am thinking dandelion greens, grape leaves (wrong time of year for these darn), cactus, collard greens, and turnips greens. (Having a really blank moment here, sorry)

Their shells will never become normal, but it will seem like less with new growth blending in.

TortLove

5 Year Member
thanks so much.. trying to do all i can... they are eating the food with the calcium on it well... i will be purchasing a MVB Light tomorrow... anyone know where they are cheaper... willing to do it all but cheaper would be nice!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I hear ya on the cost of those lights. Online seem to be a bit cheaper, but then you have the added time for it to reach you. As to the cheapest places, that will have to wait for somebody else to come along. I bought a bunch over a year ago on a clearance and haven't had to buy any lately, so have no idea on the current best deals.

I am not sure how to say this next part, without it coming out wrong, but here goes. Keep in mind that it took time for these guys to get so bad and it will take time to turn them around. It may not be able to be done. It sounds like they are active and healthy otherwise, which gives them a good fighting chance. Also know, every little thing you do helps them and the sooner you can do it helps, too. If you can't do it all overnight, that's okay, your not a miracle worker. You have undertaken a huge challenge with these two. I just think you might be feeling a bit of pressure and stress and I don't want you to.

TortLove

5 Year Member
yeah i am a little scared... i knew what i was gettinginto when bringing them home though... they are now my babies and will do all in my power. thanks for all the advice guys i will keep posting as they PROGRESS!!!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
TortLove said:
yeah i am a little scared... i knew what i was gettinginto when bringing them home though... they are now my babies and will do all in my power. thanks for all the advice guys i will keep posting as they PROGRESS!!!

YES! Positive thinking!! :D

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
TortLove said:

I just wanted to say you are AWESOME! I will be praying for you and hope all goes well. They are being taken care of now and loved, that is the important part.

TortLove

5 Year Member
thank you guys sooo much... i never thought i would get soo much support...i figured people would be telling me im crazy... i have a large outside enclosure my husband and i made... should i be keeping them inside while they are sick? i will be getting an mvb tomorrow

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If it is warm enough for them to be outside, then that's the best place for them. Nothing is as good for them as sunshine. Just be sure the enclosure is safe for them (as in they can't get out, predators can't get in, and nothing within the enclosure could harm them... which I am sure you have already done)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
are they sick? Like upper respiratory type? if they are, then only put them outside if its warm enough.. 70..
if its just teh MBD and bad shape.. they are what they are and they need as much outside warm time as possible.
Grocery store greens are fine for now.. dampen them so the vitamins or calcium powder sticks.
I would try some mazuri as well..

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome to the forum, I just saw the pics and the big one is in bad shape, a UVB light will help a lot but I think some natural sunshine would do best, the big one's shell may form up better over time, but It will most likely never look any where near normal. also calcium, that and sunshine as much possible as your weather permits, Honestly that is one of the worst cases I have ever seen, I think it is criminal what the previous owner did to that one. Well welcome, I hope they get better with time, even the funny looking ones can be great pets.

TortLove

5 Year Member
yeah its pretty sad... it should be warming up in the next few days... so i will have them outside asap! i have not noticed any respitory illiness... no bubbles or eye discharge. they are eating and i have given them calsium... hopefully they come out of this

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Caylea:

The tortoise that is more or less flat will never look much better than he does, but he can strengthen his shell and bones with the UVB, vitamin d and calcium. One of the tortoises that Laura adopted was not quite as flat as yours, but he had a hard time walking, weak legs and bones. But now after good diet, plenty of sun (vitamin d/uvb) and calcium, he's moving around more like a normal tortoise. So there is hope for your guys. I'm so glad you were able to save them.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I feel I must stress the need for additional D3. Getting them outside and getting a MVB is super important, but for at least the next three months I would be dusting their food with calcium that also contains D3 at least three times a week.

TortLove

5 Year Member
Well... update on sully and spike

they are doing better then expected... they have become a lot more alert... moving all over their enclosure and showing more intrest in feeding time. I have noticed some shell Harding in the smaller one... still prayin for lots of sunshine so i can get these guys out in their new enclosure and on to a good life!!!
thanks for all the advice and prayers and could still use all of it... really would like for these guys to be life long friends!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.