HELP!!! my baby herman is blowing bubbles!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

snoit83

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
First off I found the best herp doctor in area.... I have an appt. Monday at 3!!

Ok I just posted poop scare!!! About Vivian and today when I was soaking I noticed herman started bubbling!!! Im freaking out!! I let my husband take over the sulcatas for two weeks and now they are sick!!! What can o do to keep them alive till I can.get them.into the vet? They are sleeping the majority of the day, barely eating ani got them fresh kale and spring mix. Their bellies seem soft. They are only about 12 weeks old. I have some exoterra electrolize and calcium soak. Can I use that for them? Will it help any? My local pet store guy said to soak them for 10 min 3 times a day and to try to get them.eating again before starting the calcium powder since it makes it bitter... that's why I thought a calcium bath might help. Please help!! Im beside my self!! These are.my children since I will never have human children!!!

M

Maggie Cummings

It is not unusual for a tortoise to blow bubbles while they are in the water as their nose and mouth are all connected inside. So dry him off and wait for a half an hour or so and then if he's still has bubbles then you worry. You do mean he has bubbles from his nose correct? Please make sure what you mean. Is he blowing bubbles from his mouth or nose? Did he have bubbles before you soaked him? I wouldn't soak them 3 times a day, that's too much for a desert animal. If they are soft the best thing you can do before Monday is put them in the sun for about an hour. A 12 week old baby, that's only 3 months would naturally feel SLIGHTLY soft. It's only when they are really soft that you worry. So soak them once a day, in baby food, carrots to be exact and that will help add nutrition until they are eating good. Why/when did they stop eating?
They aren't going to die before you take them to the Vet on Monday unless they've been sick for a while.
So please be more specific, where are the bubbles coming from? Nose or mouth? How long has it been since they stopped eating? How soft are they? Really soft or slightly soft? So settle down and start thinking straight and answer my questions...

And most of all...DON'T LISTEN TO THE GUY AT THE PET STORE

snoit83

5 Year Member
Florida
They are only slightly soft and only on their tummy.
The bubbles were coming from.his mouth and nose.... I dried him off and they continued for about 30 min after. I went to work at 3-10:30. I had my reliable friend soak them while I was gone and take them.out in the sun again he said he did not see and more bubbles but when I came home herman had some saliva around his mouth... vivian has not been eating well for about 3 days herman fir about 3 also. Today they were abnormally lathargic and my friend said they did not open their eyes since I left. Hermans eyes seem crusty I put a drop of water on their eyes when I got home and both of them opened both of their eyes. However not for very long. It is extremely unusual for them.not to eat all day and especially kale!
Vivian has had hard urate for about 4 days. That's when I noticed that my ignorant husband had not been following my instructions for proper care so before that he can't answer ANY of my questions about poop urate of intake of food!!!! Yesterday they did take a few bites of grass and spring mix but only about 2-3 bites.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
are they housed together?
Do you have a coil type bulb?
Is it cold?
When you take tnem outside, is it s safe area? Or one thay may have been sprayed?
I would do the calcium soak, wiht babyfood mixed inthe water.

snoit83

5 Year Member
Florida
They are housed together and it is not cold. We live ib houston.... the area is safe. We dug it up and got organic soil and sulcata grass seed before we brought them hone. I have a ceramic heat lamp and a uv b coil bulb. They get about an hour a day of.real sun light.
I got some.gerber carrot baby food and I will soak them.on a mix of that and the calcium soak today!!

There are so many weeds in the yard it definitely hasn't been sprayed recently and like I said we dug up the soil and made their area as safe as possible... sorry about spelling errors my phone does whatever it wants...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Get rid of that coil bulb ASAP!! When they first came out they caused baby tortoises to go blind. The bulbs have since been fixed, but you have no way of knowing if you bought an old style bulb or the new, fixed one. So ditch that bulb and get a different UVB bulb. NOT the coil type. What brand is your coil bulb?

snoit83

5 Year Member
Florida
Zoo med or exto terra.... omg!! Which one should I get!!??

We bought it two months ago and the store display was fairly new... oh I hope I didn't hurt them!!

snoit83

5 Year Member
Florida
I changed their bulb. Unfortunately herman passed on the way to the vet. I feel like a horrible person. Please pray for Vivian to pull through.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I am so sorry, very sad news about Herman, I will be praying that Vivian will make it.. You are and have been doing everything you can and it's okay to grieve just don't blame yourself..

Status
Not open for further replies.