Hasnt gained weight in a week

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
It is walnut sand if you were wondering im pretty sure ground walnut shells but it is walnut sand nonetheless

That’s actually arguably worse. Ground walnut shells are actually very sharp little pieces, and can cause lots of damage if swallowed along with impaction and irritation.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Because it is small and don’t feel sharp to you does not mean it is not sharp. Take for instance diatamitios earth. It is very sharp but it does not feel sharp. It kills bugs this way

LoganAndPoky

Ontario
Hi guys i just wanted to update he hasnt gained weight still so im creating a closed roof for it and i will try to remove as much sand as possible

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Hi guys i just wanted to update he hasnt gained weight still so im creating a closed roof for it and i will try to remove as much sand as possible

You can go to any pet store, buy a pack of three coco coir bricks, you take one or two, mix with water in a bucket, remove all the sand and put that instead, and remove that sphagnum moss and hay, that will be an easy step in the right direction. Then I suggest you talk to your dad about the closed chamber, if not done correctly it can be a fire hazard. Then make sure the temps are all correct and the humidity is around or more than 80% and feed the right foods, I know there’s no weeds or grass in canada rn but you can order mazuri, zoo med, repashy grassland grazers, you can buy fresh wheat sprouts at the grocerie as well as endives and escaroles.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You can go to any pet store, buy a pack of three coco coir bricks, you take one or two, mix with water in a bucket, remove all the sand and put that instead, and remove that sphagnum moss and hay, that will be an easy step in the right direction. Then I suggest you talk to your dad about the closed chamber, if not done correctly it can be a fire hazard. Then make sure the temps are all correct and the humidity is around or more than 80% and feed the right foods, I know there’s no weeds or grass in canada rn but you can order mazuri, zoo med, repashy grassland grazers, you can buy fresh wheat sprouts at the grocerie as well as endives and escaroles.

Coco coir bricks are available from garden centres and the garden section of any DIY store too.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Coco coir bricks are available from garden centres and the garden section of any DIY store too.

Serious point actually. It is the same stuff sold in pet stores and in garden centres. However, printing a picture of a tortoise on the packaging is clearly very expensive as it will always be more expensive in the pet store.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
I was using coco coir i got it in the blocks that expand with water and it just began to mold when i put some timothy hay in it the guy at the pet store is the one who gets the tortoises from breeders and reads up on them i am not allowed to use a closed top my dad wont let me because the pet store giy said dry otherwise i would gove it a shot that you all for the info

Show this thread to your Dad so he will understand what professional breeders are telling you.