Sulcata growth rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

yarok

5 Year Member
I have a very young sulcata. born august 25, 2011 and in the past week he has gained 8 grams. He now ways 87 grams. Is normal for a tort this age?

JonAz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
My donatello was born 8/15/2011 and is now 246 grams. Seems yours is a little small, but not all tortoises grow the same.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
The 1st year of a Sulcatas life will have constant flucuations in his weight, some large, some small but the larger he gets, that faster he will grow. WalkingRock was 75lbs when I weighed him in October. I bet he weighs in at over 85lbs now maybe 90. My point is sometimes it will appear as if thier weigh gain is almost exponintial....

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Its hard to tell, they all grow differently, as well as in different condition's with diets.
Just as long as your sulcata is eating good, and gaining weight here and there good.
Sometimes a poop can take a couple grams of their weight :)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Jacob said:
Sometimes a poop can take a couple grams of their weight :)

I found this out with my Leopards! I weigh every Saturday morning after their soaking. Eros seemed to have serious weight fluctuations till I realized sometimes he poop in his soak and sometimes he doesn't. at his size.... he would fluctuate 2-5 gms.

yarok

5 Year Member
I didnt get him till he was about 6 months old and he had slight pyramiding. He has been gaining a little over a gram a day I think. I hope the slight pyramiding that he has does not stunt his growth.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I got Chuck, a male sulcata, when he was about 8 months old. He weighed about 85 grams. During the first few months that I cared for him he developed an URI that required a visit to the Vet. While at the Vet we decided to do a fecal exam since Chuck had deposited plenty of samples on the examination table. In addition to treating Chuck for the URI he had to be treated for pinworms. When he was a year old he weighed just 135 grams. Four months later he weighed 500 grams. I had the opportunity to weigh him often during that period. The more he weighed the more his weight would vary. I was not uncommon to see his weight go up or down by 10 - 20 grams. Usually weight loss was the result of heavy urination. Four months later Chuck was gaining about 100 grams a week and sometimes I see a 30 -50 gram drop in his weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.