Hasnt gained weight in a week

LoganAndPoky

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Hi im Logan owner of a 4 month old sully (i think) last week my tort gained 6 grams this week he hasnt gained any is this an issue ? He eats very well and is decently active, Logan

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Hi im Logan owner of a 4 month old sully (i think) last week my tort gained 6 grams this week he hasnt gained any is this an issue ? He eats very well and is decently active, Logan
No, their growth is very irregular, they may lose some weight one week and double the gain the other...At this size eating and pooping change the weight dramatically, what enclosure do you have and what size is your sulcata?

LoganAndPoky

Ontario
No, their growth is very irregular, they may lose some weight one week and double the gain the other...At this size eating and pooping change the weight dramatically, what enclosure do you have and what size is your sulcata?
This is his enlosure and thats him way back there in the corner i would say the enclosure is atleast 3 feet i didnt measure but probably and from about 1 month ago he was 6.7cm Thanks again
Logan20190407_180757.jpeg20190407_180814.jpeg20190404_203723.jpeg

LoganAndPoky

Ontario
I have tried a humid area and i got mold as a result i have multipe humid spots with sphagnum moss sprayed a few times a day it was recommended to me by someone named Andrew he works at a pet store and said that if i keep it moist it could cause long term health problems, Thanks again
Logan

Rammydad

Uk
Hi. I own a 4-5 months old Tunisian and am new to this game too. I was advised to weigh 4 weekly and aim/expect an average of 1-5g per weigh-in. I keep getting paranoid with weight, but they live absolutely fine in the wild, and have done since they were chatting to Mr T-Rex. Just follow the ‘guidelines’ for your species and enjoy.

In fact, writing this comment to you has made me reflect and calm a tad with Gregg... x

Reptilony

QC, CAN
I have tried a humid area and i got mold as a result i have multipe humid spots with sphagnum moss sprayed a few times a day it was recommended to me by someone named Andrew he works at a pet store and said that if i keep it moist it could cause long term health problems, Thanks again
Logan
Sorry but pet stores employees knows nothing about tortoises, most people here use the humid method, we aim for 80% or more, the result is smooth tortoises. If you got mold it's because you haven't used the right substrate. Substrate like fir bark or coco coir do not grow mold at all, mold is never an issue with the right setup. Only leftover food does, you just have to remove it. I also did like you when I brought my sully home but realised this was not a good technique and I built a closed chamber myself. You also need thermostat to keep the temperature to a minimum of 80F. People all over the world keep their tortoise as babies in a closed chamber to ensure smooth growth, you can look it up on this forum. If you choose not to apply this, I do believe your tortoise will end up more pyramided and dehydrated, but from here it's your call this is your animal not mine but this is what experienced tortoise keepers have found after many years of keeping and studying them to be the best way.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Sorry but pet stores employees knows nothing about tortoises, most people here use the humid method, we aim for 80% or more, the result is smooth tortoises. If you got mold it's because you haven't used the right substrate. Substrate like fir bark or coco coir do not grow mold at all, mold is never an issue with the right setup. Only leftover food does, you just have to remove it. I also did like you when I brought my sully home but realised this was not a good technique and I built a closed chamber myself. You also need thermostat to keep the temperature to a minimum of 80F. People all over the world keep their tortoise as babies in a closed chamber to ensure smooth growth, you can look it up on this forum. If you choose not to apply this, I do believe your tortoise will end up more pyramided and dehydrated, but from here it's your call this is your animal not mine but this is what experienced tortoise keepers have found after many years of keeping and studying them to be the best way.
Also, I forgot to mention that this sphagnum moss is not a good idea, most tortoises end up trying to eat it and it can clog them up. Also asking pet advice to a pet store employee is like asking a car dealer if their cars are good, of course he's gonna say yes, this forum has no money to make from you, we're just here to help people like you who got bad advice form pet stores.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Also, I forgot to mention that this sphagnum moss is not a good idea, most tortoises end up trying to eat it and it can clog them up. Also asking pet advice to a pet store employee is like asking a car dealer if their cars are good, of course he's gonna say yes, this forum has no money to make from you, we're just here to help people like you who got bad advice form pet stores.
Here are some exemples of closed chambers, I myself have one made with a big vivarium but my girl will be moving soon in a new much bigger one. Keep in mind this is only for the time the tortoise gets to be big enough to go outside, but tortoises enclosures usually cost more than the animal itself. 105a0qf.jpg maxresdefault.jpg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Here are some things that could be causing the problem-

-your enclosure is open topped, and allows humidity to escape. Lack of humidity can slow down growth.

You need to cover your enclosure to obtain 80-100% humidity. Mold is caused be decomposing matter, so be sure to clean up poop and leftover food.

-there should not be any form of sand in any part of the enclosure. It’s a huge impaction risk, as well as a skin, eye, and cloaca irritant.

-it does not appear that you have any night heat. The enclosure should not be falling below 80 in any part of the enclosure.

Please give these a read-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

LoganAndPoky

Ontario
I was using coco coir i got it in the blocks that expand with water and it just began to mold when i put some timothy hay in it the guy at the pet store is the one who gets the tortoises from breeders and reads up on them i am not allowed to use a closed top my dad wont let me because the pet store giy said dry otherwise i would gove it a shot that you all for the info

Reptilony

QC, CAN
I was using coco coir i got it in the blocks that expand with water and it just began to mold when i put some timothy hay in it the guy at the pet store is the one who gets the tortoises from breeders and reads up on them i am not allowed to use a closed top my dad wont let me because the pet store giy said dry otherwise i would gove it a shot that you all for the info

Well, that’s it! Hay mold easily...Ask your dad to read this thread, im sure he will understand. He can even pm me if he wants.

LoganAndPoky

Ontario
Well, that’s it! Hay mold easily...Ask your dad to read this thread, im sure he will understand. He can even pm me if he wants.
Thats what he used to be in that hut was really really moist do you really think sphagnum moss will clog him i have only seen him eat it once
20190325_081721.jpeg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

It is the hay that molds, not the coco coir. Hay should not be used as bedding in an enclosure.

I suggest you ask your Dad to read the information on this forum with you. Between us we have vets, breeders and keepers who have kept tortoises for decades. (Personally, I’ve had one for 42 years!)

The pet store guy probably has never kept a tortoise himself. It is often the case. The combined experience on this forum is likely to be much more knowledgeable that your pet store guy.

Speaking as a parent, I am more likely to listen when I am asked and shown that proper research has been done. When my kids get angry with me, it is easy to stop listening. No parent is perfect, but try to take your Dad on this journey with you so you can do what’s best for your tortoise. It might cost you a few extra shifts on kitchen duty to help get him onside ;)

LoganAndPoky

Ontario
Do you thing i could leave the sand if i cover in orchid bark ? And maybe spray it every hour or cover the cage with plastic wrap

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Do you thing i could leave the sand if i cover in orchid bark ? And maybe spray it every hour or cover the cage with plastic wrap

No, no sand anywhere, you can’t spray things every hour that’s a two person full time job, you have to have a proper substrate and closed chamber to retain moisture.

LoganAndPoky

Ontario
It is walnut sand if you were wondering im pretty sure ground walnut shells but it is walnut sand nonetheless

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Have a look at the Enclosures thread for some good ideas on how you could enclose your table.
Don't forget you have to be careful about the heat and light bulbs near plastic etc.
Do you have a reliable thermometer to test temps at tortoise level (a temp gun is great for spot checking areas - see Amazon)
and a hygrometer for humidity levels.
You have to balance the temps and humidity.
I was told :
too cold + humidity = sick tort
right temps + humidity = healthy tort.