found a tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

badkitty

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cecilia, Kentucky
My sister's boyfriend found a tortoise on the highway in Northern AZ.
It looks like a desert tortoise to me but I'm no expert lol
Could anyone confirm sex, it looks female to me??
p25vq.jpg

14y0ius.jpg

16axh5h.jpg

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
it is a desert tort.. and it should be taken back to exactly where it was found, and released.. asap..
although.. once they are taken out of the wild... Im not sure what the rules are for returning them.
I understand saving it off the hiway.. but it should not have been taken..

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Beautiful tortoise. :D You should return it to it's home sooner than later though. It will be happier.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Desert tortoise, looks male to me. Before you take it back check your state's rules on rereleasing tortoises.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I personally would not check the laws and just return it now. Wild should never be taken, unless it is hurt or injured. Then rehabbed and released. Release it back where it was taken, except not on or close to The highway.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
wellington said:
I personally would not check the laws and just return it now. Wild should never be taken, unless it is hurt or injured. Then rehabbed and released. Release it back where it was taken, except not on or close to The highway.

My thoughts too. If he is responsible enough to not want it hit by a car, then he should also be willing to take it right back where he found it. Then if he wants one to keep in captivity, he should adopt one of the ones from the AZ people. As I recall they have lots more tortoises waiting for homes, then homes can be found for,

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Meantime, be sure he does not place it in with any other animals.

badkitty

10 Year Member!
Cecilia, Kentucky
Thanks everyone I will let him know the best thing to do is return it to where he found it.
Again not my tortoise I would never take a wild desert tortoise from it's natural habitat. My desert torts are captive bred which were rehomed to me.
:D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

Desert tortoises are VERY susceptible to human-borne diseases. There have been several wild populations that have been infected and suffered losses, thought to be due to infected pets being released. http://www.tortoise-tracks.org/publications/jacobson.html

This is the primary reason for the laws against releasing tortoises back to the wild. Tortoises kept in captivity should be surrendered to a rehabilitation program so they can be dealt with in the best ways possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.