First Time Hermann's Owner Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

knch25

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia, USA
Hey y'all.

So I've been thinking of getting a tortoise for quite awhile. Been doing as much research as possible. I have several questions I'm still confused over.

The indoor enclosure I'm getting for the hatchling I want is 37 x 25 x 13 inches. Link to: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00167S...0713A3NPNS

The tortoise will only be inside until it is large enough to be in its outdoor enclosure. I live in Georgia (USA), So it is quite warm with humidity.

I have ordered this book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/3980977...00_s00_i00

Okay, My questions:

1. Where is a good place to get my tortoise? I would really like a Hermann's hatchling. I've looked online at tortoiseshack.com, but I'm not sure about their reputation and quality.

2. Lighting? I've read alot on this and I'm still confused. What types of lighting mounts and bulbs should I be looking to get?

3. Substrate? I've read so many different opinions on this my head is spinning. I have no clue which kind I should be using, how often I need to clean it? Depths for hatchlings?

Any other info you think might help would be greatly appreciated. Thank y'all!

6speedtitaniumr/t

5 Year Member
Amarillo Texas
Hello, your links are not working.

I'm in the same boat as you as i am looking to get a Hermanns as well.

I recently bought a book from amazon titled Naturalistic Keeping and Breeding of Hermann's Tortoises by Wolfgang Wegehaupt.
It is extremely comprehensive and an interesting read.

As far as your questions, the only thing i think i would suggest is to contact some of the members here on the forum that breed Hermann's as i think that might be a safer bet than the online retailers.

good luck :), Ryan

6speedtitaniumr/t

5 Year Member
Amarillo Texas
knch25 said:
Thanks!
I ordered the same book! It should be here Thursday.

Heres the link to the enclosure again: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00167S5EY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

And the book is: Naturalistic Keeping and Breeding of Hermann's Tortoises by Wolfgang Wegehaupt.

As far as breeders on here... I'm not sure who any of them are yet.

No problem, I thought about the same enclosure, but i'm on a budget and i think i'm going to start out with a rubbermaid tub or under-bed box, until my little one is big enough for the tort table i'm building. I of course don't have that wonderful Georgia weather, but he'll get outside often as well.

As for the breeders on here just check the for sale section they post up when they have babies available or you can even check the older closed sold posts and private message them about when they might have babies available. I've just read some bad things about some (not all) of the online websites sellers shipping sick animals that ended up passing away. One reason they only guarantee live arrival. (just My Opinion)

The members/breeders here are interested in getting to know you better so i would post up in the introductions section.

Best of luck, and thanks as well:D

Ryan

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Knch25:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May I suggest that you go through our old "sold" ads and find the breeders that have previously sold Hermann's babies, make a note of their usernames, then contact them to see if they have any babies or are going to have any in the near future.

Go to a home improvement store and buy a clamp light fixture that has a large bell (10 or 12") and a ceramic base. They're much cheaper at the home improvement stores. You'll need two, one for day and one for night.

Buy a Mercury Vapor Bulb, because it provides UVB (required) and heat all in one bulb. A couple of brands that I can think of off the top of my head are Mega Ray and Power Sun. They're not cheap, but they are necessary. In my opinion, the fluorescent UV bulbs aren't worth the money. For night time buy a CHE (ceramic heat emitter). You'll have to pay the pet store price on this item because they're not sold anyplace else. It is a ceramic heater that screws into one of your clamp fixtures and provides heat without light.

I like orchid bark (fine grade), then cypress mulch, then potting soil with no additives. Lots of folks really stand behind coco-coir, but I really don't like it at all.

What would you like us to call you?

knch25

5 Year Member
Georgia, USA
Thanks, Thats very helpful!

emysemys said:
Hi Knch25:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May I suggest that you go through our old "sold" ads and find the breeders that have previously sold Hermann's babies, make a note of their usernames, then contact them to see if they have any babies or are going to have any in the near future.

Go to a home improvement store and buy a clamp light fixture that has a large bell (10 or 12") and a ceramic base. They're much cheaper at the home improvement stores. You'll need two, one for day and one for night.

Buy a Mercury Vapor Bulb, because it provides UVB (required) and heat all in one bulb. A couple of brands that I can think of off the top of my head are Mega Ray and Power Sun. They're not cheap, but they are necessary. In my opinion, the fluorescent UV bulbs aren't worth the money. For night time buy a CHE (ceramic heat emitter). You'll have to pay the pet store price on this item because they're not sold anyplace else. It is a ceramic heater that screws into one of your clamp fixtures and provides heat without light.

I like orchid bark (fine grade), then cypress mulch, then potting soil with no additives. Lots of folks really stand behind coco-coir, but I really don't like it at all.

What would you like us to call you?

mshine1217

5 Year Member
Deer Lodge, MT
knch25 said:
Hey y'all.

So I've been thinking of getting a tortoise for quite awhile. Been doing as much research as possible. I have several questions I'm still confused over.

The indoor enclosure I'm getting for the hatchling I want is 37 x 25 x 13 inches. Link to: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00167S...0713A3NPNS

The tortoise will only be inside until it is large enough to be in its outdoor enclosure. I live in Georgia (USA), So it is quite warm with humidity.

Okay, My questions:

1. Where is a good place to get my tortoise? I would really like a Hermann's hatchling. I've looked online at tortoiseshack.com, but I'm not sure about their reputation and quality.

2. Lighting? I've read alot on this and I'm still confused. What types of lighting mounts and bulbs should I be looking to get?

3. Substrate? I've read so many different opinions on this my head is spinning. I have no clue which kind I should be using, how often I need to clean it? Depths for hatchlings?

Any other info you think might help would be greatly appreciated. Thank y'all!

As a new Hermann's Momma, as of today, I totally understand what you're going through. I went to bed every night with a head ache from searching the web and reading everything that I could. If you check my postings in Enclosures I have pictures of the habitat that my husband built and I decorated. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to name the breeder that I got my two babies from but I am totally happpy with the treatment that I have received and how they were shipped. You can e-mail me or PM which ever and I can tell you more. I used a mixture of playsand and topsoil, used a clay pot and a half log for hides and used spahgnum moss and plants for moisture. I'm using the ZooMed Mini Double light fixture. With a ZooMed UVB bulb & basking bulb. I received them today via FedEx and after they warmed up and rested, they had a snack and literally disappeared into the wood work, Ha! I took pictures but couldn't download them because I have an older DSLR camera and the card doesn't fit into the slot on my laptop and my adapter wasn't working. Oh well.

Welcome to the Forum and good luck with your set up.

jonahbassjazz

5 Year Member
I recommend scott bettinger.. His sn is bettinge if you'd like a western hermanns hatchling.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
knch25 said:
Hey y'all.

Okay, My questions:

For a "newbie" I STRONGLY suggest an older tortoise...at least a few years old, as hatchlings are pretty delicate...besides, with good care, even a young adult can outlive a human! (think grandchildren)

Status
Not open for further replies.