First time Hermann's owner questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

knch25

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia, USA
Hey y'all.

So I've been thinking of getting a tortoise for quite awhile. Been doing as much research as possible. I have several questions I'm still confused over.

The indoor enclosure I'm getting for the hatchling I want is 37 x 25 x 13 inches. Link to: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00167S5EY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

The tortoise will only be inside until it is large enough to be in its outdoor enclosure. I live in Georgia (USA), So it is quite warm with humidity.

I have ordered this book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/3980977447/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Okay, My questions:

1. Where is a good place to get my tortoise? I would really like a Hermann's hatchling. I've looked online at tortoiseshack.com, but I'm not sure about their reputation and quality.

2. Lighting? I've read alot on this and I'm still confused. What types of lighting mounts and bulbs should I be looking to get?

3. Substrate? I've read so many different opinions on this my head is spinning. I have no clue which kind I should be using, how often I need to clean it? Depths for hatchlings?

Any other info you think might help would be greatly appreciated. Thank y'all!

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
This is what I did:

Enclosure: 5ft x 2ft x 1ft
Wood exterior.
Laminate/ Tile interior .
Marine sealant.

Substrate: 60/40
Black earth top soil (baked)
Coco husk ( pet store bricks)
Basking Rock/ Plants/ Home made hut.

Lighting/Heating:
Exoterra Repti Glo 10.0 UVB 13W (Fluker 5.5" fixture)
Exoterra Intense Basking 75W (Fluker 5.5" fixture)
Exoterra Heat Emitter 100W ( Fluker 8.5" fixture)
Power Bar/Day and Night timer ( all of above)
Thermostat Zoo Med 500R ( for heat emitter)

Extras: thermometer, hydrometer , basking light stand, wire molding ( cleaner presentation), water dish ( to be included beside hut).

pan1k

10 Year Member!
I got a Hermanns Hatchling about 2 weeks ago from Turtlesource.com.

Fast overnight shipping, but I wish they would have emailed me a tracking number, other than that the transaction went fine.

I got a tortoise house on Amazon, with a 125W Mercury Vapor Bulb (it does UVA and UVB) and 2 big bags of Jungle mix, with a cube of sphanugum moss so Mr. Tibbs can hide under it. I did about 1" in the main compartment, enough to somewhat burrow, and the hidey house has 2". I got a two-pack of water/food dish from Amazon. Also a lamp/stand for the Mercury Vapor Bulb and some decorative stones. I leave the power on for about ~12 hours a day. Don't forget the Repcal, I sprinkle it on the greens every other day.

I know I will have to build a bigger enclosure one day, but for a hatchling the tortoise house has a good price and I assembled it in about 20 minutes. Plenty of space to roam also, for a hatchling.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know much about that species. Others will post soon for you. However, I would not use a basking rock, the electric kind that is. They are known to have burnt many reptiles.

nicolehh11

5 Year Member
I got my baby Hermann's back in January so while still a newbie myself, I may be able to help you out on the type of things you need.

My tortoise is indoors and I keep him in one of those under the bed rubbermaid tubs (http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?Prod_ID=RP092050)

I got my tortoise from a pet shop about an hour away from where I live, a good friend of mine owns the store and has great quality reptiles, Tails and Scales in Derby, KS. I he may do shipping but last I checked he didn't have any Hermann's left.

For lighting I use a 100W MVB (mercury vapor bulb) and I use a reptile lamp stand for it so it is 12 inches away (requirement for that bulb). I started out with a basking bulb and a UVB bulb but the UVB bulb that I had caused him to have severe eye issues. I haven't had any problems since using the MVB, if you get a Zoomed brand it comes with a 1 year warranty (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AQDJK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20).

As far as substrate, I just use top soil and would say about a few inches deep. My hermann's likes to burrow in it when he goes to sleep. Now that it is springtime I plan on going to the nursery and picking up some plants to put in there with him.

Good luck with your new baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.