dos everyone tortise get dirty

Mammyjuls

I have coco coir down as the flooring but my toetise is always covered in it all over the edge of his she'll and I am worried it will go in his eyes because he always gos in the water and then he is wet and it all sticks to him I it normal or is there any think I can do to help pro enter this a little bit ???

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Coco coir usually takes about two weeks to "settle in". Keep it damp and keep hand packing it down.

This is one reason why I prefer orchid bark for older, bigger tortoises like yours.

Mammyjuls

Ok thank you can I ask my tortise was hatched 2013 dos he look about the right size to you ? Or do you think he is big ?

Mammyjuls

Coco coir usually takes about two weeks to "settle in". Keep it damp and keep hand packing it down.

This is one reason why I prefer orchid bark for older, bigger tortoises like yours.
Could I buy the orchid bark and put a layer on top of the coco coir would that help could you put a link up of what kind of orchid bark I would need so I know I have the right one before buying it thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Could I buy the orchid bark and put a layer on top of the coco coir would that help could you put a link up of what kind of orchid bark I would need so I know I have the right one before buying it thanks

You could, but eventually the two substrates will mix and you'll be right where you are now.

You can find fine grade orchid bark in bulk at any garden center. I get some stuff called "Pathway Bark" at Lowe's for about $6.

Mammyjuls

So if I use orchid bark fine grade then I don't need any soil or any think just that only

Is it like little chips rather than soil just asking as see the chip ones but also seen a soil called orchid bark as well

As said before just making sure before I buy it as don't want to waste my money

Mammyjuls

God it gets confusing being a tortise owner because all I want is the best for my tortise .
That's why I keep asking lots of questions so hope people don't mind

Mammyjuls

My problem is I don't like mess and I also don't like seeing my tortise with the coco coir all over him as I would think that would make him irratated and sore

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
You could, but eventually the two substrates will mix and you'll be right where you are now.

You can find fine grade orchid bark in bulk at any garden center. I get some stuff called "Pathway Bark" at Lowe's for about $6.
Pets at Home sell Orchid Bark Juls - 2 bags for £14.
I've not seen it in any of our garden centres in the UK but you can always try googling it to see if they do or Amazon

Mammyjuls

Will look at pets at home site and I have been googling it to see were is the cheapest place to buy

Mammyjuls

BdMpq7.png
Ok but my tortise will not be able to eat the fine bark ?

Dos this seam right
And I just but the bark in with no soil at all just this and spray it ??

Mammyjuls

I also read if I use this then has to be changed every 4 weeks is that correct or not ???
Ohhh and thank you everyone for all the help very much appratate it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
God it gets confusing being a tortise owner because all I want is the best for my tortise .
That's why I keep asking lots of questions so hope people don't mind

We don't mind at all. We are all here to talk tortoises all day every day. Questions like yours fuel more tortoise talk. :)

No you don't need to add anything. I just use plain orchid bark with nothing else for the majority of my tortoise species. I've been using plain orchid bark for decades for tortoises and many other reptiles too. I've never had one try to eat it.

You don't need to spray it, you need to dump water into it. I usually dump my water bowl into the substrate as long as there is no poop in it. Then rinse and refill. In most of my enclosures this maintain the correct level of dampness most of the time. If it gets too wet, just don't add any. If it is still too dry you can always dump even more water into the O bark.

I never change substrate. I spot clean daily and as needed. My regular soaks keep the poop to a minimum since the tortoises usually poop in their soaking water. I clean up any leftover food daily, and I only change out the substrate if I am moving a new tortoise into that enclosure.

Mammyjuls

Ok thank you very much and yes I clean left o er food up every night when my tortise gos to sleep and refill his bowl then as well I normally give him a soak on a morning

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I've never tried orchid bark, but my coco coir is fine.
I just keep it nice and moist and pressed down and Tidgy loves it.
Okay it makes a bit of a mess, but I think she likes that too.