Eating new substrate

Rowse85

Location (City and/or State)
Bristol
My tort always bites/ eats his substrate when I change him
Today I’ve changed him to coco coir, a section of sand substrate and a section of top soil he doesn’t seem happy biting everything even his rocks? Although he is eating his food as well, is this normal or should I be worried ?
Worried tort mum !!

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Im not sure what you mean "hes not happy biting everything"?

Also, sand is not reccomended, they cant digest it and it can form serious digestive blockages that can require surgery, and thats if it doesnt kill your tort. Sand also acts as an abrasive when it gets impacted into objects in the enclosure and your tort can damage its shell rubbing against things repeatedly as they tend to do. Top soil is also risky, mainly you dont know whats in it, it could have toxic plants composted into it, and I have personally found metal objects in bags of top soil, screws and nails. Torts on this forum have become very ill after swallowing a screw for example. We reccomend Orchid Bark and Coco because you know 100% whats in the bag and both provide everything a tort needs from a substrate, even if they dont replicate exactly what they would have in the wild. Remember the wild is a risky and dangerous place, torts are survivors but we dont need to replicate the risks and inadequacies that they face in the wild, we are lucky that we can provide near ideal conditions.

Rowse85

Bristol
I mean he wouldn’t normally bite his stones and cave etc. After a clean out.
He seems happier now, I wonder if it’s a territorial thing?
yes it is mainly C Coir now, thank you for advance a shall remove the small section of sand I have put in, I wanted him to have a variety of substrate in different areas of his home.
The top soil I have used is organic top soil and I’ve sieved it through to ensure nothing nasty in there.
I’ve read to mix the soil with sand? Would you recommend? This is a separate section of his home again.
He’s a marginated tort

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I mean he wouldn’t normally bite his stones and cave etc. After a clean out.
He seems happier now, I wonder if it’s a territorial thing?
yes it is mainly C Coir now, thank you for advance a shall remove the small section of sand I have put in, I wanted him to have a variety of substrate in different areas of his home.
The top soil I have used is organic top soil and I’ve sieved it through to ensure nothing nasty in there.
I’ve read to mix the soil with sand? Would you recommend? This is a separate section of his home again.
He’s a marginated tort

ok I understand. It is pretty normal for them to sample coco coir and other more plant like substrates after first being introduced to them. Coco wont hurt the tort but we reccomend things like moss are avoided for that reason. Dont use the sand at all, dont mix it with the soil, if you are 100% sure the soil is safe you can use it but it tends to get pretty compacted with lots of wet dry cycles and the tort trampling around on it, it also doesnt retain moisture very well. If you want to create different "zones" so to speak, you could try making an area for Orchid bark, get the fine grade and make it 4-5 inches deep. Torts are bulldozers though and they have a way of mixing all your hard work up into a nice entropic mess.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You've been getting really good advice from Yossarian. We can't emphasize enough, no sand in the enclosure. It can cause impaction which could be fatal.
Also why are you changing his substrate so often? If you spot clean it daily there's no need to change it so often.