Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
emysemys said:
EricIvins said:
Instead of using the products "marketed" for Reptiles, go to a Garden supply store and get the Coco chunks that everyone should be using........Same product, less headaches......

and cheaper!

Yes, I buy twice as much coco coir at the gardening store for half the price of what the pet store is selling it for ... exact same product, probably as much as 4x the value.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Coco Fiber Works Great and Keeps in humidity too!
It is Messy Although i have Been Using it For 8 Months

Hallbomber

5 Year Member
Southern California
Coco coir is messy yes. But one of my babie Leopards ate a large piece (compared to her) of cypress mulch which scared me due to its size, i wasnt sure that it would pass. So i feel much more comfortable with fine coco coir, knowing that it wont get stuck in their digestive tract in small portions.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
I was going to change my topsoil mix to coco coir so Franklin could dig a little easier, but I might stick to what I've been doing.

TotallyTank said:
Where can we get cypress mulch??

I found big, inexpensive bags at Lowes

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Cypress mulch looks like it would be too splintery, should I strain put all the little pieces? Or do y'all just dump in the bag and let your tortoise just go for it? Lol

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
What i do is pack it down and keep it wet, when its wet it sticks together more, and creates humidity.
I also feel your problems with the Sulcata, they are very messy stubborn and bulldozers :)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I love the coir. I also pat it down to firm it up. Dusty does get dirty but he's a tort, they don't need to be squeaky clean.
You could buy a small piece of reptile carpet and cut a whole in it to sink down his food dish.

jason g.

5 Year Member
Rodney loves the dirt he eats dirt coco coir sand anything. I used to worry about it but he always passes it. I mix 75% coco coir 15% cypress mulch and 10% calcium sand. It seem more like dirt and old rod dig in it in several different spots. Every night he practically buries himself in his substrate accept for his head and the top of his shell. He loves the dirt. ;) it makes him comfy so I m cool with him being dirty he takes a bath every morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.