Coco Coir is messy

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven

5 Year Member
So I just got coco coir as a substrate, and... my sulcata is always dirty, always has the coco coir on him. He walks into his food and water and gets everything dirty. Is there anyway around this? or is it a tough part of having coco coir as substrate?

also he eats it, is that okay? (when his food is in it)

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I was having the exact same problem with my baby Sulcatas a while back so what I did was take the coco out & then strain it with w/a strainer and water. That completely resolved the messy problem. Also my babies will sometimes eat some of the substrate too, but they just pass it. Hope that helps. :)

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
I think it's a two part answer. Part could be the substrate itself. The majority, I think, is that its just how Sulcatas are. They are bulldozers and will make a mess. Having said that I love mine to pieces and wouldn't change a thing about them. Sometimes it can be frustrating but its just how they are.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
In general torts and turtles are very messy creatures I thought it would-be a perfect time to throw that out :D lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Boy do I ever agree with you!!! Besides that, its full of strings that they eat and have hanging out both ends.

I much prefer fine grade orchid bark or cypress mulch.

steven

5 Year Member
I really don't mind the messy. Just was worried about him eating it.
I was new to coco coir thats why i was just asking but I should have known that it wasn't bad since a lot of people recommend it.
Also, I wouldn't want him to be any different. :)

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I had coco coir and it was so messy I shop vac'd it out and have used cypress ever since. I love cypress mulch. It is not messy, does not stick to the torts and they can still burrow in it.

C

Claireabbo

i recently changed to coco and the same thing happens to me. he gets his food all dirty and then eats it... well it is ok if they eat it just not alot of it. (like if it is stuck to food) and if they are well hydrated. then you should be good :)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I, for one, hope I didn't mislead anyone! I like eco earth, but I only use it when bedding them down...and then I mix it with exo terra's coconut bark! I'm actually considering switching to this exclusively!

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Instead of using the products "marketed" for Reptiles, go to a Garden supply store and get the Coco chunks that everyone should be using........Same product, less headaches......

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I buy mine in huge bulk bags from a guy that does the reptile show circuit. I don't have this problem with it. When I use the fine grade stuff I pack it down with my hands and that reduces the amount sticking to them and anything else too. I use the bigger chips for larger than hatchling tortoises and that stuff doesn't stick to anything. I've never seen it for sale in a store though.

pandacakes

5 Year Member
Oregon
I second the cypress mulch! I used coco coir for a while, but got sick of having my little guy caked in junk after he would walk through his water dish. I switched to cypress mulch and love it! It is great for maintaining humidity, they can still burrow and it doesn't get stuck all over them :)

Tnewton

5 Year Member
I use a combo of sphagnum moss/cypress with all my torts. I keep the moss/cypress mix at the warm end of the enclosure and damp or wet depending on the torts in the enclosure. Moss does tend to get eaten as well and **** I have seen them eat cypress chunks and aspen and pretty much every substrate u can think of. I still soak all of mine no matter size and have never had an impaction

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I used Coco Coir For Tiago but i got rid off itt! D:
I use a forest floor substrate want to start using Cypress mulch!

Tnewton

5 Year Member
tyler0912 said:
I used Coco Coir For Tiago but i got rid off itt! D:
I use a forest floor substrate want to start using Cypress mulch!

Isnt the forest floor bedding cypress? I know t rex and all living things call their cypress forest floor bedding

steven

5 Year Member
thanks everyone. a couple of questions about it:
does cypress mulch hold humidity like coco coir? and does the cypress mold grow mold?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
EricIvins said:
Instead of using the products "marketed" for Reptiles, go to a Garden supply store and get the Coco chunks that everyone should be using........Same product, less headaches......

and cheaper!

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
When I search for Coco Chunks I get; compressed coconut fiber

Is "Coco Chunks" a compressed coconut-fiber?

It is not available in the "Big Chain" harware stores in my area, but "Sunleaves PieceCoir Brick" is available at a drivable "Earth Freindly" plant store.

Status
Not open for further replies.