how often should I weigh my greek tortise

Mammyjuls

Hi how often should I weight and do the Length of my tortise I was going to do it once a week ?

Also will normal kitchen scales be fine if just used for my tortise ?

Has anyone got any links of guild lines of what length and weight my toetise should be so I can make sure he is not over weight or under weight ect......

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I weigh and measure and take their pictures annually.
And a word of advice. When you take a photo of your tortoise, have a family member in the same photo with the tortoise. If your tortoise is ever lost and then found by someone, you have the photo with a family member to prove he's yours.

Last edited:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
once a week is a little excessive but it won't hurt I would do it once a monthyou can use any scale the can measure grams

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
I weigh my cherryhead every Thursday right after I've taken him (could be her) outside for some lunchtime sunshine. If you do it this often, don't worry too terribly much over a small weight loss one week so long as your tort is overall gaining weight. That small weekly weight loss could very well be attributed to a big poop.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I weigh my cherryhead every Thursday right after I've taken him (could be her) outside for some lunchtime sunshine. If you do it this often, don't worry too terribly much over a small weight loss one week so long as your tort is overall gaining weight. That small weekly weight loss could very well be attributed to a big poop.

My guy (baby redfoot) is also on Thursday evening schedule. I like weighing weekly because I feel like it'll help me be certain he's growing appropriately.