He's a dirty dirty tort

AnimalLady

Mac is a dirty boy! I look at him and compare to torts that are housed indoors and my guy is so much more dirty! I don't get it, i mean, the other torts walk around in topsoil, just like my Macky-poo.

My question~ Can i clean him? When i was soaking him this weekend i noticed just how dirty he really is. I started to bathe him a bit, but just his shell. I didn't want to bother him too much with anything else. I also put some coconut oil on his shell and massaged him, i think he liked that.
So i guess I want to ask, is there any way to make his legs clean without pissing him off or stressing him out?

I know its frivolous, but hey, i want my guy clean! :)

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Mac is a dirty boy! I look at him and compare to torts that are housed indoors and my guy is so much more dirty! I don't get it, i mean, the other torts walk around in topsoil, just like my Macky-poo.

My question~ Can i clean him? When i was soaking him this weekend i noticed just how dirty he really is. I started to bathe him a bit, but just his shell. I didn't want to bother him too much with anything else. I also put some coconut oil on his shell and massaged him, i think he liked that.
So i guess I want to ask, is there any way to make his legs clean without pissing him off or stressing him out?

I know its frivolous, but hey, i want my guy clean! :)
I bath my tort twice a week and clean him with a toothbrush lol! My beastie really enjoys it but I've heard of other torts hating it. Give it a try and see :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's nothing wrong with scrubbing your tortoise every so often.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I have to clean my torts when I take pictures for photo documentation and a few hours later they are as dirty as before, so why bother - they are beautiful anyway, aren't they?

nr2.JPG

I don't even want to compare them to artificially shiny indoor tortoises, being dirty is proof they are living a full life outside. ;)

AnimalLady

I have to clean my torts when I take pictures for photo documentation and a few hours later they are as dirty as before, so why bother - they are beautiful anyway, aren't they?

nr2.JPG

I don't even want to compare them to artificially shiny indoor tortoises, being dirty is proof they are living a full life outside. ;)

I know! I'm torn though, I love the slight yellow he has on him and with all the dirt I can't see it! I'm going to give it a go, if he gets all pissy I'll leave him be

AnimalLady

nr2.JPG

Oh,and what kinda tort is that? Can't handle the cute tort butt!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I also use a soft bristled toothbrush when Tidgy gets too mucky.
She doesn't mind, in fact she quickly got used to it and even likes it, if I don't pick her up and am gentle.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I bath my tort twice a week and clean him with a toothbrush lol! My beastie really enjoys it but I've heard of other torts hating it. Give it a try and see :)
I also use a toothbrush when I give Oli a soak. He doesn't like that:( toothbrush on him but enjoys the warm water.:p