degus!!! :) :)

johnandjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scotland
day 5 and pup is looking stronger everyday. he/she is spending a lot more time out of nest.. has been climbing up the bars, starting to nibble on things and trying solid foods :). we have seen him'ish nursing pup as well. all good signs :D

baldrick seams to be coping ok in isolation, no sign of distress or loneliness.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
hope is now a week old, all is looking well. this weekend we plan on trying to clean out the nursery is him'ish will let us and try to sex hope.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
yet more name choices, we are now thinking on calling pup 'neo' , like the matrix. neo is doing very well, he (we believe) happily interacts with us, he will come over to say hello and take a treat. we also had a play date with pup and dad! it went fine :)

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
pup is now big enough that we are able to put in a wheel and saucer into the cage, and he enjoys both:) ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1466349714.234253.jpg

he is also quite the little climber now!

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
neo has been in with baldrick for around an hour now... and they are getting on quite the thing :). a few little spats, but to be expected.

wondering if it's possible to have neo nutered and just alternate him between mum and dad, say a week at at time? I'm thinking it will eliminate loneliness, 'keep things exciting' for all 3 and eliminate the need for another wee degu and another degubah system.

... i'll ask jade to post on the degu form and do the homework, it may cause more harm than good:(

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
and then there was 4!! this little hope ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1470679432.823175.jpg

we got herlast week. she is around the same age as neo. we have 2 cages now, one for the boys and one for the girls:). ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1470679512.520438.jpg

we have still to properly kit out both cages, just awaiting delivery, though both cages have all the essentials.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I'd never heard of mammals losing their tails as a defense!?!?!?!
Not quite.
A degu will loose skin off the base of its tail if picked up by the tail, or grabbed by a predator.
This is the defense mechanism.
Then it will chew off the tail itself down to the basal tail vertebra to avoid bloodloss.
Their tails don't regrow.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1470679701.552073.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1470679712.668863.jpg

the boys new sand bath... a 10ltr brandy glass!!! we will be getting one for the girls as well, it's perfect for the job!! saves sand being kicked out of a shallow container and as is elivated, frees up floor space:)

we also have 4x 33cm running wheels now, one each :D. these little critters really do love em!!! thanks to jade doing her homework we learned that smaller wheels can cause spine injuries.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
A very interesting and nice thread, John.:)
Sorry it's taken me so long to find it.
And don't forget I love piccies of Fido, too.