degus!!! :) :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
At first I thought you meant "tegu", but I googled it and see, "The degu is a small caviomorph rodent that is endemic to the Chilean matorral ecoregion of central Chile. "

I've never heard of them. But my grandson has a big tegu.

James, Cyrus & Elton 7-13-15.JPG

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
Several years ago my sister purchased 2 as Christmas gifts for her daughters. The pet store assured her they were females, which was correct....however apparently they were pregnant females! Much to her surprise one had 8 babies, the next day the other had 7....and the pet store would not take them back! They were very cute and social....but 17 is WAY too many degu. She is a college professor and was lucky enough to find homes for them...but it was quite an experience!

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
That's a pretty cute little animal. Do they bite? What do you feed them?

:D they are yvonnee, so much fun to watch. they are on pellets just now, but diet is a strict issue. they are 'diabetic' so homework must be done.. have found a degu forum but it's purely for research I won't be jumping ship :). no bites (yet) , but one will hand feed :). bit of time and they will tame, its even possible to taech them tricks:)

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
so today's goal is to build up a 'table' for the cage, also going to try cover the 2 sides and back with plexi to keep the sawdust in the cage.

make do and mend part 2 :D

jades ordered a playpen so when that arrives i'll be able to tackle the inside and add a second level

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
so today's goal is to build up a 'table' for the cage, also going to try cover the 2 sides and back with plexi to keep the sawdust in the cage.

make do and mend part 2 :D

jades ordered a playpen so when that arrives i'll be able to tackle the inside and add a second level

Have you thought about coroplast? I think it's lighter than plexi. People use it a lot for guinea pig (and other rodent cages).

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
Have you thought about coroplast? I think it's lighter than plexi. People use it a lot for guinea pig (and other rodent cages).

we have plexi we had for inside fidos enclosure to protect backdrop, had to remove as reflection was an issue. I'm great at 'up cycling' materials as i'm too cheep to buy more. typical scot ;)