Cruelty fo A Chilled Shelled Friend

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
I could not believe this creature was pulled out into a skislope environment to slide down the ice packed trail by its owner.

Sure, he made third place (before the rabbit) so kudos for that, but come-on, welfare for the animal dropped to last place in my mind.

Ducks and Rabbits might be okay but a T?:(

What do forum members think about this?2446bae582c90e517c59a95edd7e9aadc0eed921.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Extremely cruel. A small tort like that does not have the heat reserves to handle time in the snow.

A large tortoise would handle the temperature better for a short time but even that should be only when the tortoise has a choice of exploring the snow or going back inside their warm enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think it was a water turtle. They sometimes hibernate under freezing waters, however, it seems cruel to have one be awake in the snow.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
There are actually water turtles that will freeze solid in ice all winter long. But still, this is not cool (pun intended) at all. Why anyone would think this is a good idea is beyond me. I would not slide my guys down a grass hill top in summer let alone down a snowy one in the dead of winter! The cold is not the only stress inducer involved.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Cruelty fo A Chilled Shelled Friend

Tom said:
Stupid humans doing stupid things.

Your new profile picture confused me. I had to go to your profile to make sure it was the same tom.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Based off the ribbon on the rabbit, winning in this race may have saved it from a soup pot. Just saying.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't say what I want about it. I will get deleted. I bet you can all imagine though.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Who ever come up with this idea need to get rip off his/her cloth and slid down the slop just like this poor guy. Some people's thing between their ears just doesn't work or nothing between their ears.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
hunterk997 said:
Cowboy_Ken said:
Based off the ribbon on the rabbit, winning in this race may have saved it from a soup pot. Just saying.

? :(

It is a well documented fact that many turtles, both endangered and common, end up in Asian food markets.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
bouaboua said:
Who ever come up with this idea need to get rip off his/her cloth and slid down the slop just like this poor guy. Some people's thing between their ears just doesn't work or nothing between their ears.

I think I've seen that video on YouTube.

tortoise_man2

This is wrong it's like sliding someone down a ski hill in hypothermic conditions, with no cloths on!

I agree with Tom stupid humans

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Poor animals. :-((((

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
I truly do not think the creature was cognizant or lucid but that seems irrelevant to me. If we consider ourselves a morally superior species (methinks hubris) we will respect all life forms - including a lowly turtle in hibernation. Being used like a shuttlecock over the ice, propelled by its "owner"'s skis is a mockery, not respect, i am in agreement with all of you.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Tom.... Haha! I would never call you an idiot! Haha
See you Friday 😊