Look at the size of these pothos. Yeah Baby!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
So being down in south Texas in the tropical zone has been awesome. Our new horticulturist friend as I've discussed before is CITES permitted for plants. He has all sorts of parent plants from all over the world. He has been landscaping my moms portion of the property and entire landscaping of the park once it's ready. We've already planted bananas from sir lanka, South Africa, west Africa, plantains from Central America, palms from Madagascar, cycads from New Zealand and have these giant golden pothos from South American Brazilian rainforests (which they are not native too down there but will thrive very well in wet forests) This leaf isn't even mature. Had to be clipped from a node were using to grow up some Ebony trees. The leaves on mature vines at his place are 4' long and about 3' wide. Spectacular plants.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
All I can say is, "show off" and of course I am green with envy.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
"Huge"......or just a mini suds bottle....:p

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Looks like you would also have a Botanical Garden going there......Free admission also???:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
"Huge"......or just a mini suds bottle....:p
Huge. And these clippings came off a 6 month old new vine. He's also going to start some white giant pothos. Same thing as these giant golden but the leaves are silly white.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I planted six tiny potted pothos around my fish pond when I first dug it out about 7 years ago.
I also have Ginormous leaves. And enough plant cover to coat an entire back yard.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I planted six tiny potted pothos around my fish pond when I first dug it out about 7 years ago.
I also have Ginormous leaves. And enough plant cover to coat an entire back yard.
Fantastic. If you have Manouria they love to eat this stuff. It's considered toxic and do not feed. But I've had no issues in the 15 years I've kept Manouria. Actually impressa is a staple diet item. Also seen indotestudo consume it heavily too.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Huge. And these clippings came off a 6 month old new vine. He's also going to start some white giant pothos. Same thing as these giant golden but the leaves are silly white.
I Love the "exotics" .......we may have to trade some cuttings ....hint hint ....I just received some exotic bananas....as well as a very rare " Black elephant ear" ....or otherwise known as Taro . You see the green all the time , but not the black.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I Love the "exotics" .......we may have to trade some cuttings ....hint hint ....I just received some exotic bananas....as well as a very rare " Black elephant ear" ....or otherwise known as Taro . You see the green all the time , but not the black.
Most excellent. Are the taro you got aquatic or terrestrial? We recently purchased a boat load of plants and I have never seen these before. They are a taro but full aquatic. Don't know names. But they are quite cool. Let
Me see if I can find a picture of em. I love trading.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
The Ones I have are terrestrial .......do well in a damp , shaded area. I have a really neat (but sorta common) Pencil plant . I get tons of cuttings, they root well, super easy to grow , drought tolerant. This variety is a "fire Type" with new growth having red / orange. Are these common in your aera, or have you seen them?
Left middle of the Cove' Shot. This plant was a foot tall 3 years ago and now reaches about 7'.

Here is a Red Banana.......in case you missed this from an old thread ....

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
And then here's a sneak peak of some of the stuff we got. Nursery got damaged from a fire at the main building. So the old man is shutting down. Madagascar thorny plants 6-7' tall for $20 bucks. Haha. All sorts of great stuff we picked up. My mom is going again this Friday. It's time to start making the pathways full of exotic plants. All sorts of great stuff. Got 6 new species of hibiscus too. Biggest flowers I've ever seen. Size of a dinner plate.image.jpegimage.jpeg image.jpeg

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
The Ones I have are terrestrial .......do well in a damp , shaded area. I have a really neat (but sorta common) Pencil plant . I get tons of cuttings, they root well, super easy to grow , drought tolerant. This variety is a "fire Type" with new growth having red / orange. Are these common in your aera, or have you seen them?
Left middle of the Cove' Shot. This plant was a foot tall 3 years ago and now reaches about 7'.

Here is a Red Banana.......in case you missed this from an old thread ....

Never tired of looking at your yard. :<3::<3::<3:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The pencil plant is Euphorbia tirucalli. The sap is toxic.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
And then here's a sneak peak of some of the stuff we got. Nursery got damaged from a fire at the main building. So the old man is shutting down. Madagascar thorny plants 6-7' tall for $20 bucks. Haha. All sorts of great stuff we picked up. My mom is going again this Friday. It's time to start making the pathways full of exotic plants. All sorts of great stuff. Got 6 new species of hibiscus too. Biggest flowers I've ever seen. Size of a dinner plate.View attachment 175654View attachment 175656 View attachment 175657
Never tired of yours also......:<3::<3::<3:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
1,000 finger Banana

Black Taro
Sweeeet. That banana is awesome. I gotta have one. So far, we have Sri Lankan true banana, Central American plantains, South American banana, a South African banana, which kinda looks like your red/black banana. Not sure if it fruits or not. Alvin basically comes over every Friday and Saturday with a truck load of plants. Lol. I don't mind. It's super cheap. He donates a lot of his too. He has the most phenomenal plants you can imagine. I'll try and dig some photos up of stuff he has in his garden(-about 6 acres worth)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sweeeet. That banana is awesome. I gotta have one. So far, we have Sri Lankan true banana, Central American plantains, South American banana, a South African banana, which kinda looks like your red/black banana. Not sure if it fruits or not. Alvin basically comes over every Friday and Saturday with a truck load of plants. Lol. I don't mind. It's super cheap. He donates a lot of his too. He has the most phenomenal plants you can imagine. I'll try and dig some photos up of stuff he has in his garden(-about 6 acres worth)

Do a Google image search for the 1000 finger banana. It's quite amazing!!!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Can't remember any of the names of things though. But this one is super awesome. I call it the giraffe tree. Haha
image.jpeg
Again don't remember any of the names. This one was awesome smelled like a perfume factory. Flower was massive as well.
image.jpeg
This one I know. Madagascar Palm. Silver. This plant is only 4 years old. Cooliest Palm every I've got 6 small ones to plant along the pathways. But have to have a huge open area as you can see they get massive very quick.
image.jpeg
Lots of cycads too.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That's about all I remembered to take photos of unfortunately. His place is crazy. The park will pretty much look like this in a few years. Slowly planting and planting and planting and building.
image.jpeg

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Do a Google image search for the 1000 finger banana. It's quite amazing!!!
I'm going to. Actually send the species name to Alvin and see if he can get me some. I've never seen anything like that. Sure does fit in with all the super crazy exotic flora down here.