Small world story w/ a twist!

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
I'm always amazed at how fast we as people can find commonality. I remember a couple years ago in Woodstock Va, in the space of an elevator climbing 1 floor I learned that the lady in the elevator taught at my middle school when I was a student there, 50 years earlier.

Currently, I am bidding a large project at the Four Seasons DC. I got the invite a week or so ago and the new guy at the General Contractor's office actually called to see if we would bid it.
His name bothered me.....till today. The guy turns out to be the same "Lance" that used to be my sons best friend till they grew apart as teens. His Dad and I coached together for years, 20-25 years ago. He has been at his job for 7 months. I've known the two owners there for 35 years. When I point blank asked him this morning while laughing if he was "that lance", he froze........he responded with a "I was wondering if that was you but thought there might be another jeff kushner out there". I didn't let on how I felt, but really kid?

Now the Rest of The Story;
Lance broke into my home less than a week after I left Peg 16 years ago! He stole my sons xbox which we replaced. Lance does not know that I know it was him(his coconspirator folded like a piece of tissue paper, years later when asked). One of the reasons my son stopped hanging out with him was b/c he perceived Lance as "dumb", a "general math" kid who lied and began turning to the dark side.

Interesting situation....to say the least! Watching how this plays out is going to be fun.

Life can be a blast if you let it.....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Really is a small world.
It's always interesting to see how young kids that were trouble makers or not the best choice makers grow up to be. Still that kind of person or did they actually grow into descent humans and leave the dumb kid stuff behind.
Good luck with this and keep us posted.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm always amazed at how fast we as people can find commonality. I remember a couple years ago in Woodstock Va, in the space of an elevator climbing 1 floor I learned that the lady in the elevator taught at my middle school when I was a student there, 50 years earlier.

Currently, I am bidding a large project at the Four Seasons DC. I got the invite a week or so ago and the new guy at the General Contractor's office actually called to see if we would bid it.
His name bothered me.....till today. The guy turns out to be the same "Lance" that used to be my sons best friend till they grew apart as teens. His Dad and I coached together for years, 20-25 years ago. He has been at his job for 7 months. I've known the two owners there for 35 years. When I point blank asked him this morning while laughing if he was "that lance", he froze........he responded with a "I was wondering if that was you but thought there might be another jeff kushner out there". I didn't let on how I felt, but really kid?

Now the Rest of The Story;
Lance broke into my home less than a week after I left Peg 16 years ago! He stole my sons xbox which we replaced. Lance does not know that I know it was him(his coconspirator folded like a piece of tissue paper, years later when asked). One of the reasons my son stopped hanging out with him was b/c he perceived Lance as "dumb", a "general math" kid who lied and began turning to the dark side.

Interesting situation....to say the least! Watching how this plays out is going to be fun.

Life can be a blast if you let it.....
I worked in the counties school system for almost 40 years.
I was a custodian. A site repairman. A body shop technician and painter and finally a mechanic and foreperson of my department.
I met a lot of people. Some excellent employees that never seemed to advance and some absolute jerks that kept moving up the chain.
While at least some of this is subjective, I can say that a jerk from 30 years ago was still a jerk today the last time I checked.

It was funny to see a few BUTT KISSERS kiss the wrong butts and go down in flames with them. But mostly I saw very little "Karma". It's because nothing is based on merit. Or actual hard work.
Not in that type of environment.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
And well... life's funny isn't it. Maybe he changed maybe he didn't. It's strange that he contacted your company despite your name. I say give it time if you like. Wise as 🐢 harmless as🐦

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I appreciate the input.

No, of course I won't tell anyone where he works, who he is. I never bought in to the gossip BS. He will be held to task on his own merit, or not. I won't interfere. If they are as good as I think they are and he isn't, he won't last.

Then I remember my own childhood.....despite involved, caring folks, I was the worst kid in my neighborhood.

I was; "Prince Bertram the Bad", I still have the book........the '63 edition<LOL>

I need to give him the opportunity to amaze me, right?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Pete and I settled here in SoCal in 2009. Not very long after, Pete needed a cardiologist. He was referred to Dr. S. During the initial appointment Pete told Dr. S that he had had a stent implanted in 1999 at the VA hospital in Perry Point MD. Dr. S said that he worked at that hospital at that time and he was the only doctor doing stents there.

Dr. S had inserted Pete's stent 10 years earlier in MD, and we met up in CA. Small world!

Now I'm a patient of Dr. S, who services I needed when I was hospitalized in 2019. He keeps seeing me every 4 months, despite telling me "When you die, it won't be your heart that did it" right after a "walk the treadmill" stress test.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Hey, I was reading Z's. Florida thread and I remembered that this kid Lance, is the boy who "discovered" the Snakeheads in a pond in Crofton Md 20 years ago!

Lance Ryan......small world separated by 6 degrees