Cacti

J

Jillian Fricke

Does anyone have a decent knowledge as far as cacti go? I have tried endlessly to find an active cacti forum and have failed miserably.

J

Jillian Fricke

I have a bunch of cacti and flowers, and questions are CONSTANTLY arising. I basically am hoping to find someone I can shoot a quick message to whenever I am curious about something. Right now I am debating over whether or not a windowsill is a good place to put a freshly repotted Grafted Moon Cactus.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I can probably answer your questions about opuntia, organ pipe, and some of the ground cover type succulents, but I don't know about moon cactus.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I have a bunch of cacti and flowers, and questions are CONSTANTLY arising. I basically am hoping to find someone I can shoot a quick message to whenever I am curious about something. Right now I am debating over whether or not a windowsill is a good place to put a freshly repotted Grafted Moon Cactus.
Witch window if it was me I would do a NW window light sun light and less heat on the grafted cactus and after the graft has healed maybe more light .

J

Jillian Fricke

Thank you! And Tom, I will keep you in mind for future questions, as always.

Prairie Mom

@Kenno would be the man to talk to :) He is an enthusiastic hobbyist who enters his cacti in competitions. Check out his greenhouse in the garden chat. Here's a link to one of his posts: Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Kenno

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Your cactus is probably a gymnocalycium, grafted onto something with strong roots. The gymno part is probably brightly colored with no green chlorophyll.
If that's what you have, they're difficult to manage because the host and graft have different needs.
I recommend keeping it dry with only occasional water, maybe once a week, and full sunlight. Also avoid moving it around- pick a sunny spot and leave it there.

J

Jillian Fricke

Cactiguide is a great site!
Your cactus is probably a gymnocalycium, grafted onto something with strong roots. The gymno part is probably brightly colored with no green chlorophyll.
If that's what you have, they're difficult to manage because the host and graft have different needs.
I recommend keeping it dry with only occasional water, maybe once a week, and full sunlight. Also avoid moving it around- pick a sunny spot and leave it there.
@Kenno would be the man to talk to :) He is an enthusiastic hobbyist who enters his cacti in competitions. Check out his greenhouse in the garden chat. Here's a link to one of his posts: Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫
Perfect! Thank you both kindly for the advice.