Cactus clumps

I had an idea to plant some cacti clumps around the yard so the future sully can have a nice little snack when it feels hungry. Can I have a list of edible cacti and weeds?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
There are many types of spineless opuntia cactus. To my knowledge all of them are safe to feed. I have at least 8 or 9 varieties.

It is very unlikely that your cactus and plants will be able to keep up with the appetite of your tortoise. You might want to plant some stuff out of reach too. Here is a list of good stuff:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
There are many types of spineless opuntia cactus. To my knowledge all of them are safe to feed. I have at least 8 or 9 varieties.

It is very unlikely that your cactus and plants will be able to keep up with the appetite of your tortoise. You might want to plant some stuff out of reach too. Here is a list of good stuff:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
Yep all are safe in the opuntia variety. Some will have some serious thorns though, so stick with spineless like Tom recommended. You can also get sedum, and stone crop. Very drought tolerant and nutritious plants for them. Hibiscus (rose of Sharon. African and South American)is great too, leaves and flowers.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal

Don't you mean...8 or 9 dozen varieties? :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I often see sedum recommended, but be aware that not all types are safe to eat and there are MANY types. They frequently sell the "brown bean" sedum around my area, and that one is listed as toxic. Just be sure and get Latin names and verify that whatever you plant is edible. There are lots of good types of sedum, but some toxic ones too.

Red apple ground cover, ice plant, elephant bush and jade plant are all good to eat too. Jade plants like some shade and elephant bush does not do well below freezing.