What cacti/ succulents are good for tortoises?

tusontilly

What cacti/ succulents are good for tortoises? In AZ there is an abundance if cacti: prickly pear, cholla, barrel, beaver tail, etc. Are these appropriate food sources for tortoises (minus the spines, of course). What about the flowers of these cacti, or even the fruits?? I've read where some folks feed their tortoises succulents...any particular kind?? I have a variety of these native plants in my yard (desert grown, not store bought)...

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
What cacti/ succulents are good for tortoises? In AZ there is an abundance if cacti: prickly pear, cholla, barrel, beaver tail, etc. Are these appropriate food sources for tortoises (minus the spines, of course). What about the flowers of these cacti, or even the fruits?? I've read where some folks feed their tortoises succulents...any particular kind?? I have a variety of these native plants in my yard (desert grown, not store bought)...
I'm not up on cacti(huh uk here).
Opuntia(aka prickly pear) is good, pads,fruit and I'm sure flowers. Not sure if that's for all tort species. What species do you have?
Welcome btw someone else will help you out soon.

tusontilly

Thanks for the quick response...I'm in AZ, USA, where the temps reach 100+ in the summer...I am gathering info before I decide...I think the best fit for me would be the desert tortoise...I'm preparing my yard to adopt a rescue desert tortoise, however, I'm open to other types too...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Prickly pear here.
A lot of members don't remove the spines. I do. If for no other reason than I don't like the spines in my fingertips.
I also feed the fruit when it's available.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Thanks for the quick response...I'm in AZ, USA, where the temps reach 100+ in the summer...I am gathering info before I decide...I think the best fit for me would be the desert tortoise...I'm preparing my yard to adopt a rescue desert tortoise, however, I'm open to other types too...
I live in Phx AZ . And you would love desert torts , and lot of people on the TFO would love to have AZ desert tort BUT can't . And I love mine !
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467739710.845512.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Prickly pear here.
A lot of members don't remove the spines. I do. If for no other reason than I don't like the spines in my fingertips.
I also feed the fruit when it's available.
Wouldn't it hurt the torts if the spines are not removed?

tusontilly

WOW!! That's what I wanted to hear...you TRULY understand what I'm trying to explain...What foods do you feed your tortoise?...I'm learning prickly pear pads are ok...do you remove the spines first?...what about beaver tail, donkey tail, or succulents?...someone mentioned that jade is ok...I have an abundance of naturally grown cacti & succulents...Is aloe or agave appropriate??

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
WOW!! That's what I wanted to hear...you TRULY understand what I'm trying to explain...What foods do you feed your tortoise?...I'm learning prickly pear pads are ok...do you remove the spines first?...what about beaver tail, donkey tail, or succulents?...someone mentioned that jade is ok...I have an abundance of naturally grown cacti & succulents...Is aloe or agave appropriate??
I have Redfoot and they are very different than a desert tortoise and I only have prickly pear growing in my yard. I DO remove the spines. But it's my choice. Not necessary.

tusontilly

Aesthetically, removing the spines work for me...does a variety of cacti constitute a "varied" diet?? I have an abundance of cactus choices....

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
We have prickly pear in WI. However, I think they are protected.

tusontilly

Just ask and I'll do my best .
What do you feed your tortoise(s)?...ever give them "wild" desert grown cacti (prickly pear, aloe, agave, etc.)?...if you can, pleaseshow me a picture of your tortoise habitat...I'm curious about how you made a "hide" fhem...if they're small, how do you protect them from predators? As I mentioned earlier, Phoenix is very similar to Tucson as far as tortoise habitat is concerned...

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
You have to understand I have Greeks , Russians , Leopards , Hermanns , Marginales , 3 toe box , ornate boxes , Pancakes , Egypations, and AZ Desert Torts . I feed Aloe , cacti , weeds , and store vegys . 1/4 of the enclosure is covered all the time for shade I have a flower pot that is broken and it's on it side and the desert torts are digging their own cave under the flower pot .

El Paso, TX
I live in El Paso Tx and we have swamp coolers too. Our environments are very similar. Today it is 100 degrees. We have different types of cactus all over the place, have you managed to get your turtles yet?? I want to relocate a prickly pear on the side of our house into their enclosure and was wondering if you fed it to them.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I live in El Paso Tx and we have swamp coolers too. Our environments are very similar. Today it is 100 degrees. We have different types of cactus all over the place, have you managed to get your turtles yet?? I want to relocate a prickly pear on the side of our house into their enclosure and was wondering if you fed it to them.
You don't need to relocate the big cactus , just cut off 1-2 pads leave them alone for 24-48 hours then plant them in a flower pot , give them some water every day for a week or so and then plant them in the enclosure . Good luck !