non prickly pear cacti for sulcatas?

Piro

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
so I saw alot of food lists for sulcatas say prickly pear cacti is great...but I haven't found any info for other kinds of cactus pads. Anyone know of a place to find that info? I have an assortment of cacti some even spineless that I'm curious about.

also, is it normal for him not to want to eat anything that's not currently planted in the ground? He won't eat anything picked at all.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I know that some types of cactus are toxic. I have not found a list anywhere though. I have personally fed organ pipe cactus for years to mine, so I know that one is safe in moderation, and they love it. I handle it with a knife and fork in 12-14" sections and cut the spines off lengthwise. I have many varieties of opuntia here, but I can't tell you what other ones are safe or not. If you find a list, or somehow figure this out, it would be great if you'd do a thread listing the good and bad ones for the rest of us. Good luck and thank you.

turtlemanfla88

I use some of the pricky pear with spines I just use a torch and go over it very lightly to burn the spines. I know I have a lot of gopher tortoises where I live in Florida and no body is taking the spines off for them.