Bluetooth Tracking Device

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
You guys, I LOVE THE TILE!!!

Last night I was out for the evening and my husband had the job of putting Levi away before dark. I'm not surprised he forgot because he almost never had to do it. I came home around 9pm and had to find Levi hiding somewhere in the pen, in tall grasses, in the dark.
Right away I used the tile and finding him to collect him was easier than eating a piece of cake. :cool:

That thing, rocks!
Only a couple of weeks ago, my husband and I saw a demo of Tile and thought immediately of how easy it would be to find Joe with it. We might just have to get one now; it would save a lot of rummaging in bushes as we try to find him!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Happy Birthday Levi! Where are the birthday party pictures? :p

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
This is UNBELIEVABLE!!!! ...where to begin...

A group of neighboring kids decided to play in the turtle pen today without telling (or asking) me. They unscrewed the lock on the chain, opened the door gate and then left it open. 3 hours later, I see it and sure enough...Levi is gone, AGAIN!

I activated my Bluetooth and opened the tile app. It tells me he's out of range. My husband had paired his phone to Levi also so both of us begin walking the property looking for the signal. We have to walk within 200 ft of him to get the signal, then it'll locate him. 20 minutes go by...still no signal.

Just then my neighbor comes up to the fence (the same neighbor with the giant chess set I posted in the I SPY thread) to tell me Levi was walking around in his wine tasting room!! It's HALF A MILE AWAY from the tortoise pen!!
As I walked with my neighbor to his Winery I kept the Bluetooth tile app running. Sure enough as I got within 200ft, it located him.

ok, so that's cool, it works... but only if you can get close to Him!! I can't believe how fast and how far Levi got.

So, the tile is nice for finding him when he's hiding in the pen but it's not a fail safe for escapes.

I can't handle this.....it CAN NOT keep happening!
So,
1- we are moving in June
2- I'm putting a key lock on the door gate so no-one can open it
3- I'm putting plywood along the bottom of the gate so, should by some unforeseen reason the gate open, he still has a barrier....

I look forward to the day I have MY OWN yard that I can keep people out of and I can build MY OWN tortoise pen. :rolleyes:

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Ooh I would be livid with the neighbor kids.
We currently have Vern covered in bright colored tape while we research tracker options.
It is very fortunate that your neoghbor knows Levi belongs to you.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
You are so lucky!!! Did you shout at the kids?
Glad your moving because now too many kids know you have a tortoise and who knows what will happen.

So glad he's safe!!
Did you get to taste any wine;)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
You are so lucky!!! Did you shout at the kids?
Glad your moving because now too many kids know you have a tortoise and who knows what will happen.

So glad he's safe!!
Did you get to taste any wine;)

There are always people here at the vineyard, I can't prevent people from coming around. (Not to mention 5 dogs roaming the property) And I don't want to advertise him with a "don't let the cool tortoise out" sign, so I just put a padlock and chain on the gate to make sure the door can't open again.
And I'm watching his pen like a hawk... This temporary set up is tougher in some ways than I thought it'd be....So glad it's temporary.

But back to the tile....The grass is so tall in the pen we use it everyday when we bring Levi in to put him away. Makes it super easy to find him ;)

0420161326a.jpg

0420161322a.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I have been researching options with actual GPS and I came up with this:
T8 - Mini Tracker
My concern is that it requires a SIM card from a cell phone dealer and I haven't been able to determine if I would then need to pay monthly for it to Verizon.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I have been researching options with actual GPS and I came up with this:
T8 - Mini Tracker
My concern is that it requires a SIM card from a cell phone dealer and I haven't been able to determine if I would then need to pay monthly for it to Verizon.

Nice!

I couldn't tell the size, although I only gave it a quick glance. (I'm cooking dinner)
I'll check that out later when I have more time.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
There are always people here at the vineyard, I can't prevent people from coming around. (Not to mention 5 dogs roaming the property) And I don't want to advertise him with a "don't let the cool tortoise out" sign, so I just put a padlock and chain on the gate to make sure the door can't open again.
And I'm watching his pen like a hawk... This temporary set up is tougher in some ways than I thought it'd be....So glad it's temporary.

But back to the tile....The grass is so tall in the pen we use it everyday when we bring Levi in to put him away. Makes it super easy to find him ;)

View attachment 171023

View attachment 171024
I bet he loves his jungle.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
OK. Enough's enough. After yet another lengthy search for Joe among soggy bushes, I have just spent £19.95 with John Lewis, a UK department store, on one of these. (I had a gift voucher which is why I got it there)

He may be over 10 inches long and weigh over 7lb, but he's near impossible to find especially when his shell is wet.

Now to check the garage for an appropriate sticky stuff to attach it :)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
AT&T tells me I eligible for a gift/credit card when I convinced my lady friend to switch over to AT&T from the carrier she had. I may have figured out what to use it on. Although I do like my current tracking device ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1470134535.195191.jpg
Yes…that's "Tickle Me Elmo".