humphrey1024

Location (City and/or State)
Livermore
Hello!
I have had Humphery (my 16 year old, 60ish pounds sulcata) for about 9 years now. He is an annual escape artist... no matter how mush we shore up his yard, he seems to escape one way or another every fall (painters left a gate open, my goats broke a fence, or he burrows underneath. every possible situation). I found a small tracking device (meant for dogs) that would notify me if he leaves the property and would let me find him easier. I am just not sure how to attach it to his shell or if it is even safe to do so. I was thinking of gluing on a little pouch (avoiding growth lines, of course), so that I could take the tracker out to charge... thoughts? I've read conflicting advice about different glues, so I wanted to see what people would think in this situation... I don't want to do anything that could harm him! Normally I would just take him to our exotics vet and ask, but with COVID I wouldn't be able to go to the appointment with him to ask questions. Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

Relic

Here
I can't really think of any spot on a tortoise carapace that wouldn't, at some point, rub or bump up against a stationary object, and possibly dislodge the tracker. I am intrigued with the idea, though. At 16 years old, that seems the ideal age to introduce him to an iPhone, with an unlimited texting plan. That should keep him occupied with the phone and should he leave you can use the handy "Find My Phone" feature to track him...

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I think it's a pretty good idea. Just make sure it's snug and won't rub off. As for the type of glue I'm sure somebody will help you with that.

humphrey1024

Livermore
Thanks for your quick response
haha... you're right about the i phone age! so funny

I was thinking on the back side of his shell, down pretty close to his tail. At such a large size when he walks under something, only the top of his shell gets scrapped (picture bellow. He's about 60 pounds I think). Also, I figure that it's worth the annoyance of it falling off from time to time and having to reattach it, to have piece of mind about his whereabouts.
20210117112019_IMG_0477.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Make a suitable enclosure that he can't escape from. That tracker won't save him from getting stolen while out and about, mauled by a dog, hit by a car, too cold at night, etc...

Put a board across the gate the is easy to step over, but too tall for the tortoise to get over. 16-18 inches would be plenty. Then, even if the gate is left open, the tortoise will still be contained.

Kysandy

5 Year Member
Louisville
Thanks for your quick response
haha... you're right about the i phone age! so funny

I was thinking on the back side of his shell, down pretty close to his tail. At such a large size when he walks under something, only the top of his shell gets scrapped (picture bellow. He's about 60 pounds I think). Also, I figure that it's worth the annoyance of it falling off from time to time and having to reattach it, to have piece of mind about his whereabouts.
View attachment 317051
How about daily? I attached small engraved dog tags to mine that didn't last a day.