Best substrate for Baby Greeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatrixDJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I have heard many arguements and am wondering truely what is best!? Currently I am using Cypress Mulch with about 30-40% peet moss for water retention. What do you use and think?

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I dont know about Greeks, altho I soooo want to get one someday! But I use coco coir for my Sully Cooper and for my Russian Opehlia. He is 11 months and she is 7 years old. It works great just dont let them eat off of it. It can cause impaction if they ingest to much of it I have read. Make sure they eat off of a dish of some kind. Good luck and I hope this helps in some way! :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I've had very good sucess raising Testudo species on a substrate of about 60% organic soil, 30% coconut coir and the rest ground sphagnum & leaf litter. At about 2" deep this substrate if sprayed regularly will hold moisture well without having to be damp. It is also firm enough to allow for good footing on top but soft enough for baby tortoises to dig into it when they want to. How often that it will need to be sprayed will depend entirely upon temperatures and ambient humidity. I spray mine twice a day and saturate and churn it once a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.