Finished tortoise table!

brid

Location (City and/or State)
PA
It’s all set up!

I think I have the lighting placement figured out but am open to any suggestions.

My house is pretty drafty so I placed a CHE beside the basking bulb. I’m hooking it up to a thermostat and hoping it keeps the right temps throughout the table, but I will add a second CHE on the cool side if needed.

How does it look? Is there anything I should make adjustments to or change?

Attachments

• IMG_8989.jpeg
    IMG_8989.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Looks really cool, I like it!

A few suggestions:
1. Move basking bulb closer to UVB lamp - they should light the same area. This is closer to natural sunlight and tortoise better understands "how it works".
2. For an open 8ft. table you will need a couple of CHEs at least. But if he sleeps in the warm part, perhaps no need to change anything. A thermometer and a temp gun will tell you better.
3. UVB lamp looks like ZooMed Reptisun Hood. What lamp is inside? (they are sold as a kit with 5.0 lamp, which may be too weak). And what is the height above the substrate?
4. Some live plants may be a good addition - for breaking the sight line and hiding.

brid

PA
After posting this, I moved the basking lamp to overlap a bit more with the UVB. The bulb is a 10.0. I changed out the 5.0 before using it because I learned with my bearded dragons that they’re too weak. The distance is about 21” from the substrate, do you think it needs to be lowered any?

I figure I’ll have to add another CHE at least during the winter. Right now the cool part is at 67 and typically my house is always around 70. I have a thermometer/hygrometer at each end and a temp gun to measure more accurately so I’ll keep an eye on that. He’s currently sleeping inside one of the warm hides but both sides are about the same temperature now since the lights went off.

I’m definitely planning to add some plants!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is for a full grown Russian tortoise, right? It looks pretty darned good to me. You just need to take the temperature on the floor of the enclosure, all over the whole enclosure. You may need to add another CHE at the other end. Some visual barriers would be a nice touch too.

brid

PA
This is for a full grown Russian tortoise, right? It looks pretty darned good to me. You just need to take the temperature on the floor of the enclosure, all over the whole enclosure. You may need to add another CHE at the other end. Some visual barriers would be a nice touch too.
Yes, he’s full grown. My friend built this for me in record time and I’m really happy with how it turned out!

I’m going to get some plants for visual barriers, but I’m trying to figure out then best way to do that and still make sure they’re safe for him. I have the tortoise table app so I know what to look for, but it’s finding them without fertilizers and all the other stuff that makes it difficult. The only plants I currently have that are propagated are pothos and I’ve read conflicting info on them so I don’t want to chance it. Is it possible to dig up plantain from my yard and pot it to add to the enclosure? That’s the only solution I’ve come up with, just not sure if that would work.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, give the plantain a try.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Yes, he’s full grown. My friend built this for me in record time and I’m really happy with how it turned out!

I’m going to get some plants for visual barriers, but I’m trying to figure out then best way to do that and still make sure they’re safe for him. I have the tortoise table app so I know what to look for, but it’s finding them without fertilizers and all the other stuff that makes it difficult. The only plants I currently have that are propagated are pothos and I’ve read conflicting info on them so I don’t want to chance it. Is it possible to dig up plantain from my yard and pot it to add to the enclosure? That’s the only solution I’ve come up with, just not sure if that would work.
Depends on the fertilizers used, but you might be able to just wash the roots and repot the plant to a safe soil. Note, that some fertilizers and pesticides are absorbed to the plant in a way that this won't work. I have also heard some conflicting info about pothos, especially with non forrest species of tortoises...

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
After posting this, I moved the basking lamp to overlap a bit more with the UVB. The bulb is a 10.0. I changed out the 5.0 before using it because I learned with my bearded dragons that they’re too weak. The distance is about 21” from the substrate, do you think it needs to be lowered any?

I figure I’ll have to add another CHE at least during the winter. Right now the cool part is at 67 and typically my house is always around 70. I have a thermometer/hygrometer at each end and a temp gun to measure more accurately so I’ll keep an eye on that. He’s currently sleeping inside one of the warm hides but both sides are about the same temperature now since the lights went off.

I’m definitely planning to add some plants!
Everything sounds great so far. But, yes, I would lower the UVB lamp. I have found only one test with ZooMed Terrarium Hood and 10.0 lamp and it shows UVI of 2 at 20". However we aim to get UVI 3-4. So I *guess* we need the distance of 18".

Since you also have bearded dragons, you might want to invest in Solarmeter 6.5 - this will help you to save on lamp replacements and will give an assurance that UVB levels are correct.

brid

PA
Everything sounds great so far. But, yes, I would lower the UVB lamp. I have found only one test with ZooMed Terrarium Hood and 10.0 lamp and it shows UVI of 2 at 20". However we aim to get UVI 3-4. So I *guess* we need the distance of 18".

Since you also have bearded dragons, you might want to invest in Solarmeter 6.5 - this will help you to save on lamp replacements and will give an assurance that UVB levels are correct.
I will lower it now. I just had to raise the CHE and basking lamp since the temps were getting above 100 under them.

I’ll look into getting a Solarmeter as soon as possible. Thank you for all of your help!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
This looks awesome!!😍I can’t wait to see what plants you add!
I’m currently in the process myself of getting some live plants in our red foot enclosure to create some much needed visual barriers. I’ve got some spider plant babies I’ve been propagating, I’ve had the mother plant a good few years in fertiliser free soil so it’s been handy😊but like you say it’s so tricky knowing what enclosure plants to go for, when with most sources you can’t be certain if they’ve used fertiliser or pesticide sprays😕
I’ve been looking at some great websites that sell good sized tortoise friendly plants, all assured pesticide free, but they’re all a bit more expensive😣
I think we have some broadleaf plantain leaves growing in the garden, hadn’t thought of digging them up to put in there, might give it a go🙂

brid

PA
This looks awesome!!😍I can’t wait to see what plants you add!
I’m currently in the process myself of getting some live plants in our red foot enclosure to create some much needed visual barriers. I’ve got some spider plant babies I’ve been propagating, I’ve had the mother plant a good few years in fertiliser free soil so it’s been handy😊but like you say it’s so tricky knowing what enclosure plants to go for, when with most sources you can’t be certain if they’ve used fertiliser or pesticide sprays😕
I’ve been looking at some great websites that sell good sized tortoise friendly plants, all assured pesticide free, but they’re all a bit more expensive😣
I think we have some broadleaf plantain leaves growing in the garden, hadn’t thought of digging them up to put in there, might give it a go🙂
Thank you!! 😊

Bringing plants in from outside is the only thing I could think of. I’m not sure how they’ll do inside but it’s worth a try!

A pet store near me sells plants for terrariums, but I can’t find enough information about how they’re grown to know if they’re safe, and unfortunately none of the employees know either.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thank you!! 😊

Bringing plants in from outside is the only thing I could think of. I’m not sure how they’ll do inside but it’s worth a try!

A pet store near me sells plants for terrariums, but I can’t find enough information about how they’re grown to know if they’re safe, and unfortunately none of the employees know either.
Yeah there’s a reptile shop by us that sell some, all grown safely but they don’t have the most variety and so expensive😕