Golden greek substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazedpythonboy

5 Year Member
I was wondering what you experts would recommend as far as substrate for a Golden Greek tortoise? Right now it's a baby, but even as it gets older. I've been thinking a 50-70% combo of Peat moss and 50-30% cypress mulch or some other kind of bark.

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Paul

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The peat moss, cypress mix sounds good! My only thing would be more peat moss then cypress mulch just because it is a baby right now. I know when I used cypress mulch for my golden greek hatchling most of the mulch pieces were bigger then her.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I use an Eco soil that is fertilizer free, fantastic for keeping humidity without the animal being on a damp substrate.

MatrixDJ

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I use cypress mulch in part of the table and a 60/40 blend of coco-coir and peat moss respectivly. I used to use only cypress and decided to try out the coco-coir and I love it! It hold moisture very well and gives another texture for the little one to explore. They do love to burrow in the cypress a lot I have noticed! There are a lot of threads on here about various substrates if you search it out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Paul:

Way back when, you were contemplating a Russian tortoise. So you got a Greek, huh? I'm sure I speak for most of us when I say we'd love to see pictures.

I don't keep Greeks, but I've read that some folks use aspen bedding. I'm not sure about the peat moss, but I really like cypress mulch.

Did you ever tell us where you are?

krazedpythonboy

5 Year Member
Hey everyone thanks for your input! I am definitely going to use more peat than cypress. I'll get pics of the enclosure, one I get it finished up. Here are some pictures of my little tort when I first got it. I'm not sure of a name yet because I don't know the gender (if anyone wants to help with that, let me know).

Emysemys- you are absolutely right! I was looking into getting a Russian, but once I saw these at the local reptile show I had to get it. I'm located in San Jose.

Attachments

• Golden Greek Tortoise01.jpg
    Golden Greek Tortoise01.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Golden Greek Tortoise04.jpg
    Golden Greek Tortoise04.jpg
    704 KB · Views: 87
  • Golden Greek Tortoise05.jpg
    Golden Greek Tortoise05.jpg
    567.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Golden Greek Tortoise07.jpg
    Golden Greek Tortoise07.jpg
    763.6 KB · Views: 82

MatrixDJ

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
That is a very cute little guy!!! I love the picture of him high centered on the Glad lid :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
For a baby I would not use cypress mulch unless it's more finely ground than the landscape variety. Developing baby tortoises do well on a substrate that will provide some moisture without being damp. After years of experimenting with different substrates and combinations I've found the following to be the overall best for Testudo species:
60-70% organic potting or top soil, 20-30% coconut coir and the rest ground leaves and sphagnum moss all mixed together well. I spray this twice daily and saturate and churn it well once weekly.
For a Middle Eastern species, which "Golden" Greeks are one of probably spraying only once daily might do it, depending upon overal ambient humidity within the enclosure. At about two inches deep it holds it's moisture well without having to be damp but is still solid enough on top to allow for solid footing and for digging.

Status
Not open for further replies.