Newspaper for Pancake substrate

Washingtonpost77

5 Year Member
Hello. I just wanted to know if it is okay or has anyone used newspaper for Pancake tortoises. I am also looking for some ideas for the best substrate to use. I am currently using cypress mulch.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Newspaper is usually okay for animals that are sick, in quarantine, or that you want to observe for other reasons. It's not a good substrate for general use.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Coco coir is what I use. If kept slightly damp to help with humidity its firm and safe if they eat it. Oh. Pics please. I LOVE pancakes.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
newspaper doesn't work very well because it can't hold moisture. great 4 sick animals but not so good 4 healthy animals

Washingtonpost77

5 Year Member
Hi. I did not know that they really needed a water dish. I thought that they get all the water they need from the food
that they eat. I also planned to give my pancake soakings but will definitely add a water dish.

I love to see other people's enclsoures and would love to see yours. Thanks

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I don't put water dishes Big enough for the tortoise to get into in the indoor enclosures. I do put bowls in their deep enough for them to drink out of though. I do soak my tortoises 2 to 3 times a week and spritz their food with water. And keep the enclosures with proper humidity. They are adults. Definitely can't do that with babies. This being said, basically everybody I know does keep bowls big enough for their tortoise to soak in in the enclosure. Terra-cotta plant saucers work very well for this.

Washingtonpost77

5 Year Member
Just added a water dish to the enclosure. See attached pic. I also have two other water dishes but I am not sure if they are large enougn

Attachments

• IMG_20151017_220852.jpg
    IMG_20151017_220852.jpg
    754.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20151017_220931.jpg
    IMG_20151017_220931.jpg
    726.7 KB · Views: 17

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Can your tortoise get completely into it? If not is it at least deep enough so they can get their head deep enough to drink? If you sync it down into the substrate they can get in and out easier.

Washingtonpost77

5 Year Member
The larger water dish as shown in the pic is large enough for him to climb into and he can climb up to drink. The other two water dishes are very small. They are for small animals or can be used as food dishes.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Hi. I did not know that they really needed a water dish. I thought that they get all the water they need from the food
that they eat. I also planned to give my pancake soakings but will definitely add a water dish.

I love to see other people's enclsoures and would love to see yours. Thanks
that is a very common rumor and its TECHNICALLY true. the key word being "need". They wouldnt be as happy as they could be. YOU can survive on 1/2glass of water a day... Wouldn't you be miserable though? A terracotta saucer would work better because its shallow. Those water dishes are cool and all but Tortoises have flipped over into them and drowned. They are more for lizards and snakes. I use the top of a concrete bird bath. My leopard is too big for any terracotta dish. I feed him in one though.

Attachments

• IMG_20150411_001113.jpg
    IMG_20150411_001113.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20

Washingtonpost77

5 Year Member
I just picked up a plastic saucer and using it for a water dish. Is this what you are talking about?

Attachments

• IMG_20151018_150145.jpg
    IMG_20151018_150145.jpg
    847.1 KB · Views: 18

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That can work. I used a plastic plant saucer for my box turtle when I had her. Is that hey or straw you are using for substrate? That will dry out your tortoises very quickly. Coconut coir works well. Also if you put a ring of slate or large pebbles around your water dish they won't track as much stuff through it. And if you keep it away from the edge it also helps, sometimes tortoises like to walk around the perimeter of their enclosure and will stomp right through the water dish.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I just picked up a plastic saucer and using it for a water dish. Is this what you are talking about?
Yes thats right. Leigti is correct about placement. Once you have the Coco choir substrate it won't get inside the dish as much. If you notice them tipping that then I would suggest getting the heavier clay saucer(terracotta). I just realized that in my picture above my food dish wasn't the heavier clay saucer but the plastic one. I must have been washing the other. The Terracotta saucers are good to feed them on because it files their beak down naturally. a larger piece of slate would work as well or sandstone.

Washingtonpost77

5 Year Member
Hello. It is actually cypress mulch in the dish. The turtles drag it in and it is hard to keep it out of the dish.