Humidity Question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dielawn

5 Year Member
I thought that Greeks need a lower humidity level. Somewhere around 10-30% humidity? I have been reading a lot of posts and it seems everyone is keeping their humidity levels at 40-70%? Do Greeks need more humidity?

As of today my new substrate will be 80%Cypress mulch and 20% Repti- bark(maybe even less than 20%). I felt this would be a solid substrate after reading many peoples current setups.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
10-30% is much too low for most tortoises in general and definitely for "Greeks". It's important to know what subspecies and/or what geographical region that your animal is from. There are slight differences in temperature and humidity requirements based on the origin of the subspecies that you have. It's important to know if your tortoise is of Northern Mediterranean, Middle Eastern or North African origin. Young tortoises also require a moisture substrate that adults typically do but all ages require a higher ambient humidity level than 10-30%. A more comfortable range would be 50-75% but even as low as 40% on occasion is fine.

Cypress mulch and Repti-bark, along with other choices will definitely increase the moisture content within your substrate but it is also a good idea to have a good quality hygrometer within the enclosure to monitor ambient humidity too. If the enclosure is located in a dry room in your house you may have to cover it partially or fully and or mist or spray it once or twice a day in order to maintain the desired ambient humidity.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
GBtortoises said:
A more comfortable range would be 50-75% but even as low as 40% on occasion is fine.

At what temps? I really soaked my mulch last week and it caused some mold to start growing. At night (64F) the humidity was over 85%. Stinky room. I turn over the mulch every other day to prevent the mold from returning.

Chop Sticks make great cage tools.:D

How often should the mulch be changed?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Wow that is impressive! I also built my enclosure before I got my tort (although much simpler than yours), and wish I had waited as I didn't have enough knowledge about what my torts habits and such were yet (I would have changed some things, but of course I'll end up redoing it down the road). Best wishes.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
In my opinion, ambient air humidty and substrate moisture should be treated as two different things. Ambient air humidity can be controlled by use of a humidifier. Substrate moisture is provided by adding water to the substrate and thoroughly mixing it in. But when too much water is added anything from about 2" down is going to seep to the bottom of the enclosure, where it has no contact with constant air movement and will often begin to mold. The moisture within the top couple of inches of substrate will often evaporate quicker because it is exposed to more heat from lights and air transfer.

If you soak a substrate thoroughly and then temperatures drop at night, you end up with a cold, very damp substrate where most of the water soaks into the bottom half. Not good. Again, in my opinion only, if that is happening than the substrate is either too wet, whereas ambient humidity should be looked at more. Possibly saturating and over turning the substrate early in the day which might allow the heat from the daytime lights to "burn off" some of the moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.