Belated Hello from London

Wiliam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
Hi all, been on here for a while but haven't introduced myself till now. I'm from London and have two nearly two year old hermanns (Winston and Baldrick, odd names I know). Looking to revamp their setup and was hoping for some advice, namely, is orcid bark a good substrate (is it best to just use top soil) and and advice on growing weeds. I haven't had much luck from tortoise seed packs found online:(.
Thanks!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Wiliam, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you, Winston and Baldrick.
Blackadder fan ?
Orchid bark is fine, many people here use it, it's great at holding in the necessary humidity. Coco coir and cypress mulch are both better alternatives to top soil too, in my opinion.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/
should help you on your way.
I just seed weeds from the garden, but we have many British members who may have advice on which seed packets are good.

Wiliam

5 Year Member
London, UK
Thanks for the welcome and advice.
Haha, yes, I am a big fan. With the orchid bark, how often does it need replacing if kept moist and will the dampness effect the wood of the setup (I have applied 3-4 coats of yacht varnish to the wood in preparation...)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I only keep turtles/tortoises in the house until they are big enough to live outside, so this means about a year/season. I don't change it at all during that time. I spot clean and keep the leftover food picked up. As it dries out, I pour more water in and mix it up with my hand, then pat it down to firm it. I use plastic tubs indoors, so wood isn't a problem for me, but outside in the tort tables I keep in the tortoise sheds, which are made out of plywood, I line them with plastic film. Some people use water repellant paint.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
With the orchid bark kept moist is it a good idea to use a heat matt underneath?
An interesting question, though sorry; I don't know. Let's wait for the experienced to answer.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome
I don't know if hermanns get on better together than most torts but if they are housed together keep an eye out for the dominant one very subtly bullying the other. They may need separate enclosures. If you search for the problems of keeping pairs that will explain better.

I'm not sure if heat mats are recommended unless they are 'Kane' pig blanket type but the search facility will help with that question too.

Wiliam

5 Year Member
London, UK
Thanks Lyn, wish our registered breeder told us before hand its wasn't a good idea to have two together. I've read a lot about it on here so will keep and eye out and separate them as soon as I see a problem developing.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks Lyn, wish our registered breeder told us before hand its wasn't a good idea to have two together. I've read a lot about it on here so will keep and eye out and separate them as soon as I see a problem developing.
It's all money in the pocket isn't it?
Bullying is not always fighting or actively aggressive behaviour sometimes its following or even just looks, if they look like they're snuggling together at night it could be a territorial thing going on - they're very sneaky! Apologies for repeating if you already know all that.

Wiliam

5 Year Member
London, UK
It's all money in the pocket isn't it?

Unfortunately, yes. You would think a registered breeder (certified by protection groups) would put the animals' well-being before lining their pockets, but evidently not. :(

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi and welcome from the Desert !
m0754.gif

Wiliam

5 Year Member
London, UK
Hi guys, another question! Winston and Balrick are approching their second birthday later this month. One weighs 170g, the other 200g. Are they growing too fast? From what I've read one hear, they seem heavier than other peoples...