Belated Hello from London

Wiliam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
Also the heavier one looks to have a bit o pyramiding, is this because he is eating too much comapred to the other?

Wiliam

5 Year Member
London, UK
If he's pyramiding then you need to raise the humidity levels.

I've been working on this recently with the ochid bark and Sphagnum moss. Got it to 90-100% where they sleep and its 60%+ elsewhere (except under the basking lamp). Hoping this will prevent any further pyramiding. So I don't need to worry about reining in his diet too much? I've started aiming for a gram or two a month recently.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I've been working on this recently with the ochid bark and Sphagnum moss. Got it to 90-100% where they sleep and its 60%+ elsewhere (except under the basking lamp). Hoping this will prevent any further pyramiding. So I don't need to worry about reining in his diet too much? I've started aiming for a gram or two a month recently.
I don't know if his diet is helping cause the pyramiding. I do know too low humidity levels is one of the main causes. Hopefully someone else will chime in on this.

Alaskamike

South Florida
I would check the temp with a lazer heat gun ( you can order one on Amazon for under 15USD ) on the shells right under the heat lamp. Which is what I assume you are using for warmth.

Sometimes one tort will start pyramiding while another will not in same environment. I doubt it is from overeating. It's a hydration issue usually. Sometimes one baby will hang out right under the lamp. Some seem to drink often - others not.

The temp of shell after sitting under the lamp for several minutes should not exceed 100f IMO. If it's more than that raise up the lamp

Keeping humidity up helps greatly , as is helps rehydrate the caprice from the drying effects of over head lamps. You can only keep up high humidity with a closed chamber - a lid on it

You can also try applying some Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Coconut Oil to the caprice. There is a thread on the efficacy of EVCO in debatable topics. Some object to it , some like & use it - make up your own mind.

I'm rehabbing a little deformed Redfoot right now and I keep him at 80-90f , with 80% humidity. He looks like a pine cone from former bad care. I use EVCO on his shell after a good long soak.

Good fortune to you !