Hello from London!

danny---danny

Hey Guys,

Newbie here. I've just became the proud owner of two Hermann's tortoises. I'm still to name them (Literally got them earlier this week).
The reason I joined is because I have an important question and would like some advice. My torts currently live in a open top tortoise table. I did a lot of research before buying and I was advised to get a 60w basking lamp, which I did. This keeps the temp at the hot end of the table around 30-32. When I got them home and introduced them to their new surroundings they had a nose around an then went into their hide at the end of the viv. This is where they have spent the majority of their time since buying. One of them was quite lethargic and after reading more and more advice from various sources (all which contradicted each other) I decided today to go out and buy a higher watt bulb, 100 watt to be precise. I introduced this straight away and within 10 mins or so they were both out of the hide, eating and having a drink and nosey round. A few hours later I went to check on them and the temp of the table at the hot end was well into the 40's and both torts had gone back to their hide.
So basically what I'm asking is which bulb should I go for? Literally every article I read someone is using a different watt. I just want to get it right for them.
I also have the standard UV light above their table.

Any advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance. I look forward to chatting with you all.

Thanks

D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Take a look in our Russian section and the care sheet. I would also purchase a Che (ceramic heat emitter) and a thermostat to put the Che on, use the Che also for night heat, it doesn't give off light. You can raise the 100 watt to lower temps, or put the 60 back in and lower it to get temps up. They need to bask under at least 95-110F to properly digest their food. Do not use the coil type UVB, as they cause eye problems. Also, give them time to adjust to their new home, and a warning, tortoises do not do good in pairs and you will most likely have to seperate them into their own enclosure before one becomes sick or dead from bullying.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Danny, and welcome to the Forum!

We have a very good care sheet for the Hermanns tortoise. You can find it pinned at the top of the hermanns section here on the Forum.

One thing to keep in mind is that baby tortoises are prey, and as such they stay hidden a good part of the time. Once he realizes there's nothing to fear in his new territory he should start to come out a little more often. I keep my baby habitats covered so they aren't influenced by what's happening outside their habitat. It sometimes gives them a more safe feel.

Another thing to think about is that two tortoises, or having a pair of tortoises, doesn't always work out. Tortoises are solitary and really don't appreciate having another tortoise in their territory. I like to keep very young tortoises together because it gives them competition for the food and makes them eat better, but you have to always be watchful to make sure one isn't trying to dominate the other. If you see one of them hiding all the time, or if one of them tries to "snuggle" with the other, these are signs of domination and it is very stressful for them. In that case you may have to separate them.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! What made you decide to become a tortoise caretaker?

danny---danny

Hi Danny, and welcome to the Forum!

We have a very good care sheet for the Hermanns tortoise. You can find it pinned at the top of the hermanns section here on the Forum.

One thing to keep in mind is that baby tortoises are prey, and as such they stay hidden a good part of the time. Once he realizes there's nothing to fear in his new territory he should start to come out a little more often. I keep my baby habitats covered so they aren't influenced by what's happening outside their habitat. It sometimes gives them a more safe feel.

Another thing to think about is that two tortoises, or having a pair of tortoises, doesn't always work out. Tortoises are solitary and really don't appreciate having another tortoise in their territory. I like to keep very young tortoises together because it gives them competition for the food and makes them eat better, but you have to always be watchful to make sure one isn't trying to dominate the other. If you see one of them hiding all the time, or if one of them tries to "snuggle" with the other, these are signs of domination and it is very stressful for them. In that case you may have to separate them.

I had read about tortoises living in solitary before going to buy them and the breeder that I purchased from told me that they are much better in pairs, and I believed him... Ill see how it goes and if I need to separate then I will.

Thanks for all the information. :)

danny---danny

Hi! What made you decide to become a tortoise caretaker?

Hey,

Well since a young age I have always loved animals. We have had everything from dogs to rats to a fire bellied toad at one point, but I've always wanted tortoises. I've just never been in a stable position to take them on and now I am. Therefore I thought I would take the plunge. I have actually named them now- Tywin and Tyrion.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome from another UK member.
Sorry the breeder gave you the wrong information but you are in the right place for up to date information from very experienced keepers who really know what they are talking about. The Beginner's Mistakes thread is great for finding out what to avoid and the Enclosures thread has lots of good ideas to keep torts happy - the caresheet should cover the rest.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good website to ID tort safe plants for food and enclosures.
I use a mercury vapour Bulb (MVB) which gives heat, light and uvb in one bulb and at night I use a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) on a thermostat. This just gives heat as torts need darkness to sleep and the thermostat stops it getting too hot or cold.
Looking forward to hearing about your torts and if you post pics of your torts and enclosure members will be able to make suggestions on how you can improve things for your babies - if needed.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Danny, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you, Tywin and Tyrion.
Not too long to the next series of Game of Thrones, now!:)
Some of the threads that may be useful to you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-end-of-pyramiding.15137/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/
A lot of reading here, but it's up to date and relevant information.
Good luck.