Another Dog Story...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kele7710

5 Year Member
Another Dog Story (Why tortoises & dogs DO NOT MIX. No exceptions!)

That is cute

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
RE: Another Dog Story (Why tortoises & dogs DO NOT MIX. No exceptions!)

13 Tortoise. 0 Dog. But the cat from my next door will come visit.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Re: RE: Another Dog Story (Why tortoises & dogs DO NOT MIX. No exceptions!)

Aretino said:
Tom said:
Aretino, I would love to see pics of what you describe.

Here is Little hogging the heat/UV lamps. Unfortunately, he was not caught on camera with his head in the hide. He knows I don't want him in there, so he is very stealthy and quiet when he visits.

Have to admit, that is cute.

Bullet2013

RE: Another Dog Story (Why tortoises & dogs DO NOT MIX. No exceptions!)

This is a terribly sad story and I am so glad I read it. This is day one for me on the site and one of your members put the link for me to read as a new tortoise owner. I have a 2 lb Chihuahua who is so tiny I thought once Bullet got bigger they could be around each other. No way will I take the risk to either on of them because just as everyone has posted....animals will be animals and they have natural instincts they surcome to no matter how docile they may have always been. Thanks for the information, I am continuing to read all the links provided to make sure I know as much as I can to raise a healthy. happy tortoise.:D

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My newly adopted CDT had his front left limb chewed off by a pit bull. They must have been left alone long enough for the dog to devour the entire limb before anyone noticed :(
1389504426889.jpg

No dogs should be left alone with tortoises.

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Poor baby! How does he do with the missing limb?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Anthr Dog Story (Why tortoises & dogs DO NOT MIX. No exceptions!)

AnnV said:
Poor baby! How does he do with the missing limb?

He hobbles along, slowly and awkwardly. But he does get around. We plan to do a modification for him. A wheel leg or something. I fear what long term scraping would do to his plastron.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Yes Ken! Awesome, right? :)

We are doing lots of research so we can figure out the perfect "leg" for this guy. He still has a partial nub and moves it when he walks like he's trying to use it... I imagine him still doing a walking motion with it once he has a fake "leg". aww...

sarah05chiariello

So sad i literly started crying!! So sorry. Our dogs are the same way but i would never leave them alone....thought i was just a paranoid mama...

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Heather, I didn't know your tort lost a limb. I feel so bad for him and I hope you get the best prosthetic for him. ☹

As for Tom's thread, I'm so grateful to him for sharing such an emotional story like this. It should scare anyone who owns a dog! That's why Tom will always be number one in my book!

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Thank you, Tom and everyone else for the horrifying, cautionary tale. I am literally having a panic attack at the thought.

I have several cats and 3 chihuahuas, my Flash has her own enclosure inside and should I ever make her an outdoor enclosure it will be fully secured from top, bottom and sides. We have far too much wildlife in this area (e.g. hawks, owls, snakes, coyotes, bears, etc.) for me to take any chances with her... heck, even my chihuahuas are not allow outside without human supervision and not at all at night, for the very same reasons.

Team Gomberg said:
He hobbles along, slowly and awkwardly. But he does get around. We plan to do a modification for him. A wheel leg or something. I fear what long term scraping would do to his plastron.

Could you maybe secure some kind of heavy cloth on its plastron to protect it from scrapping until you can get him a new leg or is that bad for them?

I might get banned for this, but http://www.etsy.com/shop/MossyTortoise... I read it helps her find her babies when they are out roaming. I am very good at crocheting and knitting and would love to make one for your guy...

Are those cozies are frowned upon or unhealthy?

erica anne

5 Year Member
To those who who are above needing to watch their dogs around tortoises:

It is similar to this thought process:
An individual believes that they know when they have had too many drinks to drive. They may have had a few and driven home perfectly safe numerous times and think that they are perfectly fine to do this. Then the unforeseen accident happens and someone gets seriously injured. Why risk the safety of others at all?

That is my question. Why risk it? Maybe watching the tortoise around the dog takes too much effort?

Tom, you addressed EXACTLY what I was thinking. What do you have to gain from this? This purely for the benefit of others.

Thanks to all of those who have shared painful stories. It is and should be a wake up call to all of us.

Kele7710

5 Year Member
erica anne said:
To those who who are above needing to watch their dogs around tortoises:

It is similar to this thought process:
An individual believes that they know when they have had too many drinks to drive. They may have had a few and driven home perfectly safe numerous times and think that they are perfectly fine to do this. Then the unforeseen accident happens and someone gets seriously injured. Why risk the safety of others at all?

That is my question. Why risk it? Maybe watching the tortoise around the dog takes too much effort?

Tom, you addressed EXACTLY what I was thinking. What do you have to gain from this? This purely for the benefit of others.

Thanks to all of those who have shared painful stories. It is and should be a wake up call to all of us.
I wish I had found this forum before my dog attacked Stanley :( I only had him 3 days :( anyway he's on the mend and I've found this forum now so big lesson learnt :)

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
I completely agree. Our dogs find random box turtles and bring them to the door and we always take them before they can do anything. We have a kind of what I call "turtle reserve" (my grandpas back yard near a creek) and we leave them there. We see them every time they come up from hibernation. I can't even imagine losing one of my torts. Ever! I feel so sorry for poor Horace.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Karen1991 said:
My dog jumps up on the couch when shelly goes near her. Think she is scared of her.

Don't think that means they can be left alone together. It doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.