Additional lighting set up

Stevie909

Hi folks,

After a bit of feedback on my table and positioning of lighting.

I've got a Trixie mini pro sun mixed d3 70w for basking and just fitted a 10% repti glo 15w along the side, as below in pics.

How long should each be on for? thinking the strip for the majority of the day, between 7am-6pm and then have the lamp from about 9-10ish till 5, how does this sound?

Also my biggest concern is since putting it in Helmut has been sitting under it, as below pic. I trust his instincts enough to know if he's uncomfortable he'll move. Is there any potential for him burning himself on the bulb? again if he did I'd like to think he would move but I'd rather it didn't happen at all.

Thanks guys and gals

Attachments

• IMG_2998.JPG
    IMG_2998.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2997.JPG
    IMG_2997.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 20

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Your Hermann's needs basking heat and UVB on for 12-14 hours a day.

Use a timer to make life simple :)

At night your Hermann's needs complete darkness.

If you cannot maintain adequate temperatures then a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) is also needed. This must be used with a thermostat and provides heat without light. It can be left running 24/7 as the thermostat ensures the CHE only actually comes on if it's needed.

A CHE looks like this
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1493650167.664676.jpg

Stevie909

Your Hermann's needs basking heat and UVB on for 12-14 hours a day.

Use a timer to make life simple :)

At night your Hermann's needs complete darkness.

If you cannot maintain adequate temperatures then a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) is also needed. This must be used with a thermostat and provides heat without light. It can be left running 24/7 as the thermostat ensures the CHE only actually comes on if it's needed.

A CHE looks like this
View attachment 206248

Perfect, I've got timers handy so that'll be no problems. Temperatures are fine and consistent so won't need a CHE at the minute, defo good to know though.

With regards to him burning himself on the strip, is this a concern or am I just over worrying about him? It's almost as if he's pushed his substrate up to get closer to it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The florescent tube is WAY too close. It needs to be no closer than 10" from the top of the tortoises. It can burn his eyes where it is now.

To be sure your UV levels are correct, you really need a UV meter. Like this one: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65....t=6.5UVIndex&gclid=CKn7gPD8ztMCFdu3wAodMbUIyg

Also, that bedding is far too dry, and in time you will see that it will cause him to pyramid due to dryness and low humidity. By that time it will be too late. Switch to coco coir or fine grade orchid bark and keep it damp, before it is too late.

Stevie909

The florescent tube is WAY too close. It needs to be no closer than 10" from the top of the tortoises. It can burn his eyes where it is now.

To be sure your UV levels are correct, you really need a UV meter. Like this one: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65....t=6.5UVIndex&gclid=CKn7gPD8ztMCFdu3wAodMbUIyg

Also, that bedding is far too dry, and in time you will see that it will cause him to pyramid due to dryness and low humidity. By that time it will be too late. Switch to coco coir or fine grade orchid bark and keep it damp, before it is too late.

Cheers for heads up mate I've been watching him the past couple hours and he's been burrowing down and hiding, no wonder. Lights off, will get some wood and mount the light to it.

Thanks for pointers on the substrate, was planning on switching to coco coir anyway but will do it asap.

Thanks again for help!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The substrate needs to be damp throughout and not just on the surface.

To do this, take all the decor out and tip some water from a jug in and then mix it with your hands.

Repeat tipping water in and mixing until all the substrate is evenly damp, but not wet.

You will need to repeat this exercise every few weeks. Exactly how fast it dries depends on conditions in your home, but you can slow the drying rate by spraying water from a plant spray bottle a couple of times a day.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Not only is the fluorescent tube too close, but the MVB is also giving UVB - so you are getting double the amount. That is way too much UVB. Without a solarmeter to check the actual UVI at tortoise level, I would not recommend using both. Use the tube along with a regular incandescent flood bulb, or use the MVB without the tube.