How long the lighting normally last?

Phuket Tortoise Lover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phuket, Thailand
I setup two lighting for each indoor table of 6 months old Sulcatas and Indian Stars: Exo Terra Infrared basking spot 75W and Exo Terra Repti Glo 10.0 Compact 26W.

I live in a tropical island Phuket, the temperature on daytime is around 28 degree Celsius and at night no less than 23 degree Celsius with the humidity range from 50 to 70.

I connected all lamps to a timer at 6am-10am and 4pm-6pm on normal hot days and longer on rainy days.

After about two months, one of the basking spot was broken and the other repti glo also broken. Is it normal for the lamp specify above to break in two month? Do I set it wrong? Please advise. Thank you.

Attachments

• 1174680_10151866134506115_321480542_n.jpg
    1174680_10151866134506115_321480542_n.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 972364_10151866137931115_1383674013_n.jpg
    972364_10151866137931115_1383674013_n.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 60

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Fist off, return the lights. The compacts have been know. To cause eye problems and even though they were supposilvy fixed them, we are still seeing problems. Second, although some will use the red bulbs at night, tortoises are drawn to red things, which the red light could make them want to eat things they shouldn't. A regular tube fluorescent bulb or a mercury vapor bulb is best for lighting and UVB. The mercury bulb also gives off heat. A ceramic heat emitter is best for night time.

Also, please read Toms threads below in my post for raising healthy, smooth sulcatas. It's been said too that it works great for stars also.

Phuket Tortoise Lover

5 Year Member
Phuket, Thailand
wellington said:
Fist off, return the lights. The compacts have been know. To cause eye problems and even though they were supposilvy fixed them, we are still seeing problems. Second, although some will use the red bulbs at night, tortoises are drawn to red things, which the red light could make them want to eat things they shouldn't. A regular tube fluorescent bulb or a mercury vapor bulb is best for lighting and UVB. The mercury bulb also gives off heat. A ceramic heat emitter is best for night time.

Also, please read Toms threads below in my post for raising healthy, smooth sulcatas. It's been said too that it works great for stars also.

Thank you for your reply and your valuable information as well as reference threads. I was thinking about mercury vapor bulbs before I bought these lights but there is a limited knowledge from the shop regarding how to take care tortoise here where I live.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
That's the more reason why you need to read Tom's thread on proper care of your beautiful stars. Those compact UVb bulbs (also known as coil bulbs) are terrible on these babies eyes. As babies, the space you have for them is fine for now, but they will eventually need a larger enclosure. Also, even if you live in a tropical area, the heat at night can get to be in the 70's which would be too cold for your babies especially if there's high humidity. Cold and humid can cause respitory problems for your babies. Make sure the temps at night are above 80 degrees F. Also, one other fact you should know about any uvb bulb. These bulbs have a uvb shelf 's life of 6-8 months depending on how often and how long it's being used. So, even if the bulb still gives light, the uvb, which you cannot see, is diminished significantly and should be replaced.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you get them some sunshine in a proper outdoor enclosure, you will not need any artificial UV sources when they are indoors. Try for an hour a day for little tortoises. Its okay if you skip a day now and then. In my signature are several ways to do this.

I only use regular incandescent flood bulbs for daytime heat, and I use a ceramic heating element set on a thermostat for night heat.

20 is too cold for a baby. Don't let babies drop below 27.

Phuket Tortoise Lover

5 Year Member
Phuket, Thailand
sibi said:
That's the more reason why you need to read Tom's thread on proper care of your beautiful stars. Those compact UVb bulbs (also known as coil bulbs) are terrible on these babies eyes. As babies, the space you have for them is fine for now, but they will eventually need a larger enclosure. Also, even if you live in a tropical area, the heat at night can get to be in the 70's which would be too cold for your babies especially if there's high humidity. Cold and humid can cause respitory problems for your babies. Make sure the temps at night are above 80 degrees F. Also, one other fact you should know about any uvb bulb. These bulbs have a uvb shelf 's life of 6-8 months depending on how often and how long it's being used. So, even if the bulb still gives light, the uvb, which you cannot see, is diminished significantly and should be replaced.

Thank you for your advise, I have read Tom's thread, I learn so much more :)

Tom said:
If you get them some sunshine in a proper outdoor enclosure, you will not need any artificial UV sources when they are indoors. Try for an hour a day for little tortoises. Its okay if you skip a day now and then. In my signature are several ways to do this.

I only use regular incandescent flood bulbs for daytime heat, and I use a ceramic heating element set on a thermostat for night heat.

20 is too cold for a baby. Don't let babies drop below 27.

Thank you for your reply. When the tortoises are under the sun, is it necessary to spay the carapace with water?

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois
Your compact fluorescent uvb needs to be hanging vertically not from the side with a clamp.When the light is hanging from the side with a clamp your reptiles can stair in it and cause eye damage,all uvb lights needs to be hung "Vertically" for this reason at the right distance.I hang all my bulbs "Vertically" with a zoomed stand and I use zoomed uvb compacts have been for years now with no issues.They have a chart to recommended the distance for every bulb they sell for the safety of your tortoise.