Best UV lighting???!!! Please help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk, UK
Yeah, I remember my partner having to replace bulbs every 6 months in his marine tank, otherwise a load of algae used to grow! I am not bothered about price, and if I have to change them every 6 months, I just want a good light! :)

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
DeanS said:
FADE2BLACK_1973 said:
I know that the ZooMed Powersun MVB is the best bulb for the job that it does but only 2 thing's I dont like about them.

1. They are extremely way too high priced for a light bulb.
2. I have heard time after time that they dont last very long and would blow in acouple of weeks after buying the new.

I am so afraid buying one at the time because of this. See I thought of using one of the ZooMeds double light combo deep dome's with one Repti sun 10.0 in one side and a 150 watt heat bulb in the other. Just because that in fact flouresent bulb outlast all others plus energy savers.

There's a reason why they're pricey...they do what they're supposed to. They also come with a warranty...take advantage of that! Those combo Deep Domes suck, too! You can't use a CHE in 'em or you'll have a little problem with your house burning down! And fluorescent bulbs, tubes, whatever ALL SUCK! Forget about saving energy...SAVE YOUR TORTOISE!

Man, I bet you had it hard back before reptile MVB's did not exsist....lol. Tortoises was living fine under heat lamps and maybe low uvb flouresents. Btw, thanks for the heads up on the double deep domes. I will now just upgrate to the single deep dome. I use the 250 watt max heat lamps now but wanted a deep dome for a MVB if I decide to try one. And it better have a good warranty for those prices..lol.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's where you're wrong, Chris. Yes, lots of people kept turtles and tortoises back in the dark ages, however the animals didn't do well, died young, grew poorly and mishapen.

If anyone really wants to use that reptisun compact fluorescent bulb, then mount it horizontally, like in an aquarium hood. The UV rays are concentrated out the end of the bulb, but horizontally they aren't harmful.

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
emysemys said:
That's where you're wrong, Chris. Yes, lots of people kept turtles and tortoises back in the dark ages, however the animals didn't do well, died young, grew poorly and mishapen.

If anyone really wants to use that reptisun compact fluorescent bulb, then mount it horizontally, like in an aquarium hood. The UV rays are concentrated out the end of the bulb, but horizontally they aren't harmful.

So you telling me that alot of torts that are over 30 yrs old that is in good shape and with good smooth shells, they never got any uvb from MVB's. Even the ones that was indoors half the year because of extreme winters. Only thing most of them got was good ol natural sunlight. So there is no way that a tort can survive or be in perfect health (shell and all) is that they most be brought up under a high priced MVB? Now Im not trying to start any arguement here but I have to disagree on this one ;)

Btw, I also remember seeing one of the long time members on this forum mention something about she does not use any uvb bulbs for her torts and they do just fine.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Really any ceramic dome fixture would work... As long as its rated for your wattage..you can also buy a brooder lamp fixture for a lot cheaper and they are rated at 300 watts..

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Suffolk, UK
Thank you! I've just read that the Zoo Med dome one is ceramic ha ha! It's just me being thick!

Many thanks to everyone who has helped me with this, I've just ordered George a Zoo Med Powersun 100W bulb, and the deep dome fixture to go with it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.