Winter Heat Options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mousling

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seattle
So it's getting to be cooooooold so Rowdy is staying inside where it's.... not really warm! She's got a good sized enclosure inside thanks to the Russian tortoise website but I'm a bit concerned about the temps at night, it's not yet freezing and it's getting pretty low.

What are some good options for keeping her enclosure a bit warmer int he winter?

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Can you describe the enclosure she is in? What do you have for a heat light and UVB light? What substrate are you using? Do you havae a thermometer to check the temps? You will need a temp gun or a digital with a probe at the end of a wire. Walmart carries the digital with probe...AccuRite...for $12. It is in the back by the ladders. You will leave the probe on the basking spot 45 minutes for an accurate reading. You will be trying for a warm spot of 85-90 and cool end of 75-80. And nights should be about 65. A ceramic heat emitter...heats but gives off no light...is best for nights.
Good luck
Patsy

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I really like the heat emitters, when I only want heat, no lights. They do the job well and mine last forever (okay not forever, but several have lasted for a few years).

mousling

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Seattle
I have the 50 gallon rubbermaid setup here http://www.russiantortoise.org/care_sheet.htm with a uva/uvb ceramic bell shaped lamp, which had been keeping her warm enough but now that it's truly getting cold it's just not cutting it. Doesn't help that my house has terrible insulation and we lose a lot of heat at night.

I'm thinking the heat emitter Jacqui was talking about is what I need. I'll have to see what I can find!

mousling

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Seattle
I got her a heat emitter and already there's a big difference in her behavior. She's scampering around and back to eating like the little piggie I know she is. Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.