Loss of Power

missjmg19

Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Atlantic USA
I see another thread about this, but it is no longer opened to new messages, so...... here goes. I lived in the mid-Atlantic part of the United States. If we lose power, mainly in winter, any tips for keeping our tortoise from freezing to death? We are having horrible thunder/lightning storm right now and lights have flickered. I'm not so much worried about this time of year because if anything house would be too hot and we would give him extra soaks.

But, what options are there during blizzard season if we lose power.....which could even be up to a few days (although not likely). I would like to be prepared ahead of time.

Thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The hand warmers work good, they last around 8 hours or so they require no electricity you just twist and activate.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
You can buy hand warmers to put in with him in a small area, like a small box so there's not so much area to try and keep warm. Just be sure to put something between him and the warmers.

You mean like a small rubbermaid tub or something? Would it need to be big enough for water dish, hide, etc?

Also, what do you mean by put something between tortoise and hand warmers? I know that obviously the reason is for safety, but wondering what suggestions there are for this set up. Again, I'd like to purchase everything I'd need "just in case."

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
in the case of loss of power you won't need to do a complete enclosure set up, ( since it's only temporary)just a container to hold them to keep them from walking around the house and wrap the hand warmers in a light towel or something to protect from Burns

Kasia

Poland
I see another thread about this, but it is no longer opened to new messages, so...... here goes. I lived in the mid-Atlantic part of the United States. If we lose power, mainly in winter, any tips for keeping our tortoise from freezing to death? We are having horrible thunder/lightning storm right now and lights have flickered. I'm not so much worried about this time of year because if anything house would be too hot and we would give him extra soaks.

But, what options are there during blizzard season if we lose power.....which could even be up to a few days (although not likely). I would like to be prepared ahead of time.

Thanks!
I would cuddle lovely lil fella;). And if you hibernate him for cold months you only need 5 degres celcjus and he will not mind if it's not in the fridge;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, what dmmj said.
I would use a thick card board box with a top, or a shoe box if he can fit in it and turn around and can get away from the hand warmer, so he doesn't have to stay on top of it. Keep it dark or at least so he can't see out the sides. No dishes are needed. If it goes into days of no electric, soaking each day in warm water if possible will take care of hydration, and small amount of food can be placed in with him a couple times a day if power is lost longer then a day.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I would cuddle lovely lil fella;). And if you hibernate him for cold months you only need 5 degres celcjus and he will not mind if it's not in the fridge;)
Oli does not hibernate any more.:D

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

Thanks!
An interesting question.;) This happens a lot here in Jordan during Winter. However, many people here have gas heaters, and I am one of them. (They are less costly than the electric ones, let alone the.....central heating system). :( When we lose power I take Oli out of his enclosure and he alone crawls beside the heater. :tort: I would obviously be sitting beside him, so as to remain on the safe side.:rolleyes:

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
An interesting question.;) This happens a lot here in Jordan during Winter. However, many people here have gas heaters, and I am one of them. (They are less costly than the electric ones, let alone the.....central heating system). :( When we lose power I take Oli out of his enclosure and he alone crawls beside the heater. :tort: I would obviously be sitting beside him, so as to remain on the safe side.:rolleyes:

I've often wished we had option of gas heat and gas store for reasons like this! Would be much nicer option!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
And why is that? Is he sick or something?
To be honest to you, I do not know. A member here told me that torts do not necessarily have to hibernate.
Could it be the relatively high temperature at home? Am guessing here, ok?

Kasia

Poland
To be honest to you, I do not know. A member here told me that torts do not necessarily have to hibernate.
Could it be the relatively high temperature at home? Am guessing here, ok?
It is not a necessity but during cold months it's hard to keep tortie active and eating. It's natural, in the wild they are active only few warm months and if you ever consider having hatchlings you have to have in mind their hormones and their rythem. For healthy tort and knowledgeable owner it's 99,999% safe.