Why Don't The Planets Appear to be Spinning?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No, really. I really want to know. Yes, Star Trek is a Tv show, but when Captain Picard says, "Engage!" and the Enterprise takes off with a whoosh, why is the planet they just left sitting stationary in the void! If all the people are not to fall off it shouldn't it be spinning? even a little?

(I have another question about gravity, but I'll save it until you've satisfied my spinning planet query)

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
No, really. I really want to know. Yes, Star Trek is a Tv show, but when Captain Picard says, "Engage!" and the Enterprise takes off with a whoosh, why is the planet they just left sitting stationary in the void! If all the people are not to fall off it shouldn't it be spinning? even a little?

(I have another question about gravity, but I'll save it until you've satisfied my spinning planet query)
😁😘

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, who is the closest member to Yvonne, @Kapidolo Farms, @Tom, can anyone do a check in on Yvonne. Lol
@Maggie3fan I think your sister needs to be checked on LMAO.
The heat has finally gotten to her lol.
My guess, would be it would make it hard to watch as people would get dizziness or maybe hard to film with people on it if it spun.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Ok it would probably take at least an hour or so to see a 1/24 fraction of time capture a video of a little bit of spin 😁 who's got time to sit around and watch that. Knowing me I'd miss something.😊

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've got what I think is a better question.
Since in space, there is no right side up or upside down. (Unless you're in orbit of a planet)
Why is it that whenever spaceships meet in deep space, they're always in the same orientational alignment?
Never sideways or upside down.
Never even just a bit crooked.
And yes. I realize...Science fiction. But still.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
There are 2 reasons why you can't see them spinning. The 1st is because many of them are like our moon. The moon revolves around Earth, but it always keeps the sunny side toward us. We never see the back, dark side of the moon.
The 2nd reason is that the Enterprise, or any starship, matches its speed of orbit to the speed of the planet's rotation. With nothing to compare the speeds against, the planet and starship appear motionless.

This is demonstrated by the fact that our objects in orbit are going around 17,000 mph, but not noticed because there's no comparison.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I googled and can't half remember every thing except the planets do spin on their axis. Only 2 spin clockwise. The rest, including earth spins counter clockwise. The moon also spins about the same as earth so we'll never see the dark side of the moon. The interesting thing though that I saw on my local news today is there is no dark side of the moon. It always has sunlight shining on it.🤔

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Actually Yvonne they ARE rendered correctly but the problem is that you are only seeing a few seconds of film, not nearly long enough to see the movement. If you look at the stars, it take a few minutes of staring to see motion. At roughly 1440 minutes to spin the Earth once (1 day), that comes out to around 4 minutes per degree of travel, barely enough to see.

I sure hope that you don't believe any of this BS........

LOL

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
There are 2 reasons why you can't see them spinning. The 1st is because many of them are like our moon. The moon revolves around Earth, but it always keeps the sunny side toward us. We never see the back, dark side of the moon.
The 2nd reason is that the Enterprise, or any starship, matches its speed of orbit to the speed of the planet's rotation. With nothing to compare the speeds against, the planet and starship appear motionless.

This is demonstrated by the fact that our objects in orbit are going around 17,000 mph, but not noticed because there's no comparison.
So if you are on the Moon, would you see the dark side of Earth?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes. You'd see the 12 hours of night.
I wonder about that because the moon spins too so where would you be? And I'm getting dizzy just trying to contemplate that bright idea 💡😁

Paschendale52

5 Year Member

Fun little gif about where the moon faces compared to earth

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Fun little gif about where the moon faces compared to earth
I enjoyed that. Thank you!